K

kweckstrom

Anyone know of a NYC-area LFS that has decent prices on non-crab cleanup crews? I'm basically looking for enough diverse snails to occupy my 37 gallon to make a decent janitorial team, but all the local stores here in North Jersey want too much money.

I used to really trust Reef Encounter here in South Hackensack, but their prices are now higher than the high-priced "Absolutely Fish" in Clifton.

Can anyone help me out here? What would any of you guys expect to pay for 37 gallons worth of snail-based janitors?

And what would your "perfect" cleanup crew be?

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Karl,

I have a 37g too! Kind of a strange size.

Anyhow, I recommend buying your critters through mail order. In a store, you can expect to pay no less than $2 per snail and much more for anything nice (like scarlett hermits). I know a bunch of people that will ship large amounts of mixed snails and hermits for around $1 a piece shipped. The only thing that is typically more than that are the scarletts which seem to go for about $2 a piece.

I recommend at least 1.5 critters per gallon. That way you know you are over the top with algae control and can just let a few of them die off naturally due to get the right population size. Every now and then I add 5-10 to keep their numbers up.

I prefer scarlett hermits, mexican red legs, astreas and ceriths. I try not to get anything fancy as these seem to be hardier than the rest and do the job quite nicely. In fact, I personally find the scarletts and red legs to be the best part of any tank.

If you want to get together a mail order, let me know and I will get prices, we can split it up with a few people from the board who have inquired about critters recently.

-Josh

ISLANDREEFANDFIN

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GUYS YOU DONT HAVE TO DO MAIL ORDER WE OFFER INVERTS (SNAILS,SCARLETS,BLUE LEGS,EMERALDS,SEA CUCS) ALL AT ONLINE PRICES IN STATEN ISLAND. WE ARE ADDING MORE AND MORE EVERY DAY SOON TO BE GETTING SHRIMP IN .

GIVE US A TRY
718-697-7333

ISLAND REEF AND FIN INC. :D

K

kweckstrom

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to know... I'd rather do that than pay $2 per snail

Do you have a rundown of pricing and what kind of snails you carry or what kind of package deals you can offer for my 37 cube?

I'd like to just do a bunch of snails first, maybe some trochus, nassarius and a turbo or two... Just whatever will do a good job.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while I recommend shopping local whenever possible,

www.saltwaterfish.com has great prices and shipping is free on orders over $75.

I'd give the locals a shot first tho.

blue leg hermits (tricolor) are my favorite hermit. scarlets are real nice and fun to watch but they can get kinda big and will evict snails and other crabs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: