Metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Where are my ladies? Please stand up!

Recently I was on a podcast with Jeff Hasketh and we talked about Women in Reefing. It led me to writing a blog about Women in Reefing and that has now led to a Live round table this Friday May 22 at 4pm EST with @coralvue - I hope you all can join in but also start a discussion here. Why are there so few women in the hobby, or are they just not as visible and vocal as the guys? Are you supportive of your significant other or family member if they are in this hobby? Any women in the hobby you follow for reefing advice?

Women in Reefing officially met at MACNA, spearheaded by Kelly Delavergne (you may know her as Seahorse Whisperer) in 2018 and stays relevant via a facebook group. Kevin Erickson, president of MASNA has been very supportive of the group from the very beginning.
WIR.jpg

Facebook event info

Spotlight on one of the ladies in my first WIR blog:
MASNA award to Karen Brittain was the first, (and only thus far) given to a woman. Karen is a Titan in fish breeding! For real.
She has bred some of the most difficult fish including the Bandit Angel. She's also bred the Lemonpeel (I love the mimic personally). Her accomplishments are extraordinary.

Who should I blog about next? I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Also shout out to @xeniaforever who writes for Reefs!
Here are some of her articles.

See you on the live tomorrow.

Metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
My 11 year old has started to get the reefing bug, so I have been teaching her. Hopefully she will be in a future picture!

Her plans are for us to set up a fish room and a green house to breed fish whenever we buy a house. She likes to plan big!

Alfred
That's great! Anything in particular gets her excited - is it fish or corals, maybe freshwater? macro algae?

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
She took it upon herself to buy a 10 gallon tank and get it set up. She has been breeding guppies. But now that I have been working on my reef tank again she has been very interested. She wants to buy fish and corals but hasn't learned the key to success yet- patience. (Most 11 years olds can't get that one yet)

She wants us to focus on a few fish that can be bred. So I may set up a separate clownfish tank for her.

Metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
She took it upon herself to buy a 10 gallon tank and get it set up. She has been breeding guppies. But now that I have been working on my reef tank again she has been very interested. She wants to buy fish and corals but hasn't learned the key to success yet- patience. (Most 11 years olds can't get that one yet)

She wants us to focus on a few fish that can be bred. So I may set up a separate clownfish tank for her.
Love it. Good luck to her.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was so excite my son and daughter started helpIng me with making saltwater. And with water change. The had the bug for about month. Taking pictures and video too. I bought them snorkeling sets and did tons of it in Turks every year. They became really good. Both quit on me in maintance business. After they realize it was easier swimming with them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: