paul

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a 65 gal reef.

Do I need to buy a RO unit? I think NYC (Queens) water is pretty clean. What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks,

Paul.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Paul,

RO is usually the best way to go, but there was a discussion about 7 months ago on NYC water - do a search under "General DIscussions" and change the date to be as far back as you're willing to read.

My take - RO/DI is the best way to go and there are some relatively cheap ones out there - I helped install one for a member of this board who was from queens - not sure if he found it better or not, but pure water is better than queens water for sure ;)

Anyhow, good luck with your choice and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

House

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nyc water is actually really good... I have a tds meter and tested a few kinds of tap. brooklyn and manhattan tested at 20-60 ppm (its crazy how good that is for city water)

i tested some bottled waters like great bear and poland spring too, they came in around 100-200ppm
but im not sure thats a bad thing, its drinking water so its supposed to have minerals and other stuff thats good for you. Aquafina is basically pure RO water.

That being said... I would still go RO/DI over nyc tap, depending on your buildings pipes, the boiler, the local pipes.. who knows what kind of funk is getting into your tank. I got one a year ago and even if its just the peace of mind, I think its the best purchase Ive made for my tank yet.

paul

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Wow, looks like I have to invest in RO.

One more question - Do RO units waste water? I don`t quite understand how they work. Can someone explain?

Thanks,

Paul.

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea they do.. basically its like this..

you turn on your tap (slow at first to avoid blowing the membrane, then high pressure after a minute or so) going into the system..

You drain the waste water output.. (which is usually a black hose out of the system) that will be the 'extra dirty' water.

Then depending on the exact setup, you will have another hose or 2 where the pure RO or RO/DI water will drip out of at an annoyingly slow pace. but its nice pure water so its worth it. :D

make some beer with it, or put it in your tank and your good to go.

paul

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
This is bad news! I have to pay for water and sewer!

O.K. does it "waste" more water than it creates? You said the "clean" water trickles out, what about the "dirty" water? Does it trickle out, or does it shoot out? Thanks for your help.

Paul.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Us RO water, you will be very happy that you did. My frend is using Flushing Queens water and it tested for Phosphates. He is now battling a red slime problem, due to the high phosphates.

Invest in RO water!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: