Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i am having trouble with my leather coral. since i got it 6 months ago, its getting smaller and smaller. other coral is fine except only my leather. like something eating my coral but i donno what?
the only i could think of is my coral banded shrimp. is it possible that my shrimp start eating coral?
or something else in my tank.
please help me

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
First of all is it getting enough light?...Secondly, what kind of flow is it under?..THirdly, are you using any kind of phosphate or nitrate removing media?...This can cause great irritation to the leather.

A picture would help. Also what are your water parameters?..

mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Unless you see chunks of the leather missing, I doubt anything is eating it.

IME, leathers generally like moderate light & water flow. PC or MH light? Sometimes leathers shrink away from too much bright light. What are you feeding it?

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I love it when someone post asking for help and doesn't even care to respond. What's the point?..For what it's worth, don't even post!

K

kweckstrom

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
He's probably posting in millions of places looking for help. Have a little heart.

The point is, oh, I don't know... saving a coral?

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
It's ok with me, i was just venting. To each his own, just hope whatever it was is doing ok.

Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i am sorry pedro. i really do need help. it just that my computer is crash so i have to go to libary to check all my massege. my leather is getting worse. half of it already gone. i think something eating it dont know what? i put the leather on my 26 gallon tank with 2 55 watt pc. and have a lot of circulation on the tank. i dont put any carbon in my tank. every night time i always find my coral banded on the top of the leather. i am really assuming he;s eating on the leather. do u think its possible?
the tank its been running with for 2 years with no problem at all. anyway i have 2 leather in my tank. only one that has this problem
dont know how to solve my problem. once again sorry for the delay

Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i am sorry pedro. i really do need help. it just that my computer is crash so i have to go to libary to check all my massege. my leather is getting worse. half of it already gone. i think something eating it dont know what? i put the leather on my 26 gallon tank with 2 55 watt pc. and have a lot of circulation on the tank. i dont put any carbon in my tank. every night time i always find my coral banded on the top of the leather. i am really assuming he;s eating on the leather. do u think its possible?
the tank its been running with for 2 years with no problem at all. anyway i have 2 leather in my tank. only one that has this problem
dont know how to solve my problem. once again sorry for the delay

mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Sorry to hear about the current state of your leather.

If you're finding the shrimp on the leather... it's possible it's eating it... or maybe it's just eating the areas that are dead or dying.

What kind of leather is it? Maybe you can frag half of it to save it.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I believe leathers are kinda of temperamental. Did you test your water parameters? I know your other corals are doing well, but you should check just in case. If it was fine 6 months ago then something may have changed in your tank? I agree with mgchan, i think the shrimp is on the leather because of decaying tissue. I think you should remove the coral banded shrimp.

my 2 cents, good luck!

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
At the very least i would suggest an iodine dip. Sometimes that helps it heal. You might have some kind of bacterial infection. Is it close to anything that can sting it?..How long have you had the shrimp?..If you've had it for a while, then it's just feeding on the dead tissue. Just keep an eye on it so that it doesn't pollute the tank. Use carbon, keep plenty of flow on it. Hopefully it recovers. They are very tough. Mine made it through the 25hr blackout, so keep your hope up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: