Trana

Administrator
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are now accepting donations to help pay for the hosting and bandwidth fees involved with running this site.

This is entirely voluntary and we have no intention of making this site a "pay-to-play" community in the future.

Thanks.

-T

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Trana,

I would be willing to work with you (or whomever) to try establish a caiptal campaign, that could include, individual donation, via paypal or whatever, grants etc. but I think this could get complicated. Not sure if you want to "go there" just yet.

I would be willing to match the $5 a month for the sake of the deelopment of the site. I would also be willing to donate any hardware left over from work that I could get my hands on (hard drives, memory etc)

I think you guys are doing a great service and should also condsider funds from NSF (National Science Foundation) or even CORL (Coalition or Reef Lovers) which is a site that helps preserve the natural marine reefs. Since this site was designed to help people trade their tank raised corals etc, you might get a couple hundred (or who knows maybe thousands) from them as a grant to support their mission (and of course in the long run) your own.

Le me know what you think, and when/where I need to send the cash.

Jim

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
60 dollars a year seems like a lot for a college student unless I could get a de coder ring, a membership card, encoded messages from the admin, purhaps an autographed jpeg. I don't know, when I got into this hobby i was under the impression it wouldn't cost much money. I would certainly make a donation if the message board had certain features like, i don't know EMAIL NOTIFICATION. sorry I put that in bold, I didn't know how to make it blink thousands of different colors causing epileptic sesures like an episode of pokemon.

I tried at grerat lenth to find a anti-communism organization that took donations, but the only ones I found claimed to be religous organizations. somthing tells me people against communism and socalism just want to keep all their money.
greedy.gif
greedy.gif
greedy.jpg
greedy.jpg

[ January 09, 2003, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: The Great Rupert ]

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Rup,

You should be more careful about how you post and why - If you read it carefully you could donate 5 bucks and thats it.

Grev and I are making our own contributions and in no way does that mean you need to make the same donation. If you read Trana's message clearly, they are not trying to make people pay for this service. Hope that's clear! Also, being a college student, you should see what (if any) other people can do tohelp you with the hobby. Like, picking you up or driving you home for instance. :)

Jim

Trana

Administrator
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per my first email, donations are entirely optional. You can give $5, you can give $5000, you can give nothing.

Email notifications, I have heard your requests for this. For some technical reason it is not working at the moment. We are working hard to figure out the problem and get it resolved.

Thanks!

-T

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i totaly understand it's optiponal. and that there is no intent of it becoming a policy. It looked like a LOT of people were going to give that muchg and wanted to make it clear I probably can't even afford to keep my reef
I would be interested in knowing the operating costs per month.

T

Turan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$5 seems reasonable as I'm sure the site takes a great deal of time and effort. I'm still looking for any cephalopod enthusiasts out there to chat with.

Trana

Administrator
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rupert,

In regards to what this site costs to run, that is a good question.

At the moment, this site is piggybacking on a server and ISP that is used for a commercial business. I have permission to use this location for the time being as long as the load doesn't become an issue on the hosting system.

I have no idea what the future may hold, but I am planning for the eventuality that we need a dedicated low end server and separate ISP account to host this site. At that point, the site will begin to cost serious money.

We are running this site out of our own pocket. The relative DNS/hosting/redirect costs amount to about $130/year. The minimal $5 donation is an effort to provide for a future home for the site should it ever become necessary.

In addition, there are a few software packages that I would like to add that are not free.

At the present time, we have received a total of $5 in donations, and this is fine with us.

Until we can't afford it anymore, this site will be free. To be honest, I can't imagine running the site as a subscription service. We didn't start the site to be that kind of system, and we have no intention of it ever going there.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

-T

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: