EXPEDITION

ACRONUT
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What do you think about putting all the water from a 2 year old reef,& liverock.(about 50g,& 45lbs of rock) All into a new 75g.I bought 17lbs of LR from my LFS,that is well cured.

Do you think the tank will cycle?Or can i just switch everything over?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
then no to switching live stock and corals, you will have a cycle in new tank. you will be disturbing old sand bed which is where debris ect is to a degree. when i switched i went to bb and took sand and put in a remote dsb tank that i let settle for a day before i turned it on and ran pura complete to filter the water in it before i let in drain into other sump

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I justdid a all in switch in one day, except I added New (Live sand) about 20 lbs, I already had 30 LBS in the old tank. So everything was switch and I was ok.
But if you add new sand, and live rock that may be to much and your tank will cycle.
i am going through an algea bloom right now, all over the glass and my refugium has red slime(only in the ref).
I wouldnt switch over live stock if you are ading new rock and sand.
Best of luck

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You'll probably be fine just be sure to run your basic tests daily to be sure..Ammonia, Nitrite..Nitrate, and take action if the numbers start going up. Yes, even with a newly seeded sandbed.
If you have any time before your upgrade, work on cycling the rock from the LFS as long as you can as that could cause you the most issues.

How many fish & what kind are you moving?
Sump? Is it changing?

Bikinisalt

Always Overfeeding
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I done the same thing you are about to do. I used new sand(2" sand bed), 75% of my old water, LR. I did not use any of the old sand. Make sure to get the water out first, any top, middle layers of LR and the last pieces that are touching the sand DO NOT DISTURB them until you have taken the live stock out such as fish, corals, etc because once you lift those rocks on the bottom touching the sand you will release major toxins into the water and any fish are going to die.

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
new South Down sand i got

Don't know if you know but Southdown has not been made for a few years now. Did you manage to find some old bags of southdown from someone else? Otherwise the sand you're planning on using may not be reef safe.

Steven

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
You should be fine, my advice is to use live sand. I have done 2 switch overs each in a day for the most part and had only one fish not make it through but that was due to the stress I put it under catching it. and transferring it to QT

EXPEDITION

ACRONUT
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Don't know if you know but Southdown has not been made for a few years now. Did you manage to find some old bags of southdown from someone else? Otherwise the sand you're planning on using may not be reef safe.

Steven

When i set up my 180g reef 6 years ago i bought 400lbs of Southdown.I just kept what i didnt use over the years.

Well i moved everything over lastnite,& washed half of my old sand in NSW,my serpent star musta had babies,because there were 100's of tiny serpent stars.I just got up,& everyone looks great,& they all ate.Tang even took nori from the clip.

Here are some pics.The light fixture is temporary,just until WOLVERINE57,is ready to pary with his Aquatinics.

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

Not a whole lot to look at right now,but it will come.Corals are barely open cause i just turned on the lights.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
For a tank that was changed over yesterday the water is amazingly clear!
Monitor your parameters just in case your LFS rock wasn't 100% cured.

The stars are micro stars, not uncommon to have in your rock..luckily they will stay small :)

Looks very nice, best of luck with it!

EXPEDITION

ACRONUT
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For a tank that was changed over yesterday the water is amazingly clear!
Monitor your parameters just in case your LFS rock wasn't 100% cured.

The stars are micro stars, not uncommon to have in your rock..luckily they will stay small :)

Looks very nice, best of luck with it!

Yeah that new sump i got is kickin butt,it has 3 100 micron filter socks,& 2 100 micron fluidized chambers,which are currently empty.

As for the stars,they are not micro stars,they are exact miniatures of my serpent star.

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i bought 400lbs of Southdown.I just kept what i didnt use over the years.

:yeah:, you know at one time I also had about 400lbs of SD. When I bought my house, I didn't setup my tank for over a year. Had I known the they were going to stop making the stuff I wouldn't have used it to mix in with the cement for my patio:screama:

EXPEDITION

ACRONUT
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
:yeah:, you know at one time I also had about 400lbs of SD. When I bought my house, I didn't setup my tank for over a year. Had I known the they were going to stop making the stuff I wouldn't have used it to mix in with the cement for my patio:screama:

My fiance kept trying to get me to trash the sand,i kept telling her.One day im gonna need it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: