daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
...so it's over a week later (I think), and the redness is way down, and you can very clearly see the points of contact now - the swelling is down, but it is still swollen, and while I can bend my finger without pain, I can't really bear to put pressure on it yet - I got stepped on by one of my students (a four-year old) this morning and YELPED because of how it hurt. ...it still itches, but only when I think about it - or when I'm not thinking about anything else....

...so all in all, i'd say it's much better.

and I do think that it will sting any time it's touched - the stinging cells don't think - they just do what they do - they are basically "spring loaded" sort of.

DonCisco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
wow, I know I am still sort of a newbie in here, but one thing I know for sure. And that is to wear gloves when I am adjusting corals, moving rocks, etc.
Paly's are about the most dangerous things in our tanks, I was reading about their toxin, and found out just how nasty they are. I was cleaning my tank, no gloves, and must have squished a zoa in my tank. Make a long story short, I thought I was going to die, light headed, tired, dizzy, achy. Next morning went to the doctor, luckily he is a fellow reefer told him what happened, and realized that I got a minute amount of Palytoxin on my system.
After that I read about it, and palytoxin is more toxic than ricin, and in its pure form laughs at scorpionfish stingers, so toxic that they tried to synthesize it at USAMRIID. Ft Derrick, Maryland.
Anyways, you get a decent enough shot of zoa juice on your skin, it will give you a bad couple of days if you are lucky or it will kill you if you have any cuts or enough gets in you. Scary scary stuff.
What am I getting to? Simple... use gloves when you are moving stuff in and out of your tank. And if you are going to be moving rocks and stuff, get a decent pair of waterproof anti abrasion gloves. I much rather sacrifice a bit of dexterity than spend another night in lala land.

Cisco

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: