[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just takin a poll from people that know whatsup
(thats you) ;)

whats the best chiller for the following specs..

100gal system, 2x250 halides
temp is around 85 +/- 2deg right now.. not happy with that at all.

so I need to have the ability to pull down at least 10deg cause its not even summer yet.

I hear aqualogic is the standard, and something quiet would be a nice plus.

thanks for any advice you guys got, im lookin to get somethin asap

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Wasiabi I don't know why your temp is so high? Is your canopy well ventilated? How many Fans do you have? I have a 65gal with 2x250's and 2x 4" fans in my canopy with no heat problems whatsoever. I would say work on a more basic approach first such as lowering house temp a bit, adding fans, running halides later in the day etc... Otherwise your new chiller will be working overtime which will lead to a hefty electric bill

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got 2 fans in there right now, I think it could use more ventalation, I have 2 more so I will shove those in and see what happens. In anycase there is no AC in the area that the tank is in so eventually the house temp is going to be a problem... (chiller has always been part of the plan as summer approches)

thnx

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
OUCH, no AC in the tank room? It's going to be a furnace in there on a 90 degree day. I would definitely place a clip on fan over the sump

Is the back of your canopy open?

[ April 06, 2004, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: jackson6745 ]

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got a few more fans, sounds like you guys think a chiller shouldnt be needed?

the back of the stand is open yes.

will let ya know how it works out tomorrow

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
If you have no AC running you WILL need a chiller on warm days. The fans will help keep the temp down minimizing the use of the chiller (saving electricity an prolonging its life)

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
When I blow a fan directly on my tank water or my sump water, I can get the temp to drop a degree or two.

Hate to see what will happen when summer comes along. Let's see how far I can get with frozen Poland Spring bottles!! :D

[ April 06, 2004, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Rebels23 ]

NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my chiller sucks. its a via aqua. my tank is 75 gallons and i swear, it doesnt do any good. i dont know what to do

P

Pedro

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a portable a/c. That way both of you can enjoy the cool. I would hate to see my fish swimming comfortably while i sweat to death.

After i removed my external pump, the temp in my tank went down. It was giving off alot of heat that built up in the stand. Make sure you have it well ventilated.

Also, with all the fans you are going to need to top-off more often. Remember that it's evaporative cooling. So just keep that in mind. If you have an auto top-off system, then you're all set.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: