paul

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Just got off the phone with Aquatec, told me the ratio should be about 3:1. For every gallon of RO, three gallons go down the drain. Mine is at 5:1. They recomended a new membrane. It appears that the cheap Ebay RO units (mine) come with junk membranes.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Hey!!! I just tested the TDS out of my old Aquarium Pharmecuticals tap water filter and it was 0 !!!! I rechecked it again vs tap water (45ppm) and RO (0) and the tap water filter produced water with a TDS reading of 0 ppm.

I guess I didn't need that new RO/DI :rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

[ May 03, 2004, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: jackson6745 ]

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I wonder if the TDS testers are 100% accuracy and do they account for everything in the water.

On the possive side my RO water comes ups 0 after about 9 months of usage. My tap water water comes up as 54 and I would have though it would have been better as they just changed over the water tank not to long ago.

jreef

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you want a decent 4 stage RO/DI unit, I'm trying to sell/trade my old one (filter media fairly new). It is the larger 60 gpd unit if memory serves.

beyondnp

BeyondNP
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went 8 months using Brooklyn tap water and tried supplementing with chemicals to remove phosphates, chlorines, etc... I have switched to RO/DI for the past 3 months and have noticed a significasnt difference... I still have algae issues to deal with but my corals seems to be much healthier/happier

paul

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Well, no more RO for me! I have been using the Aquarium pharm. tap water filter. It is awsome! Have made 65 gal. of filtered water and still have about 75% of filter life left. When I used RO my TDS meter read 002. Now I get 000!!! I would waste about 5-6 gal. to make 1 gal. of RO water. Now nothing goes down the drain.

NYC really has some good water ~045 tds, RO is not neccessary, Aquarium Pharm. is plenty.
Phosphates/nitrates tested 0.

Paul.

dragonwrasse

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just want to share some non-NYC experience to let you guys know how lucky you are.

My tap water measures around 250, about the same as another friend's in NJ. After RO, about 10-20, and 0 after DI.

With tap water in NYC starting at 30-45, I would think you can get away with just DI and still have the cartridge last a while.

Paul, don't drink DI water, though. :D

[ May 17, 2004, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: dragonwrasse ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: