heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Does this stuff really get rid of algae, can i run it in a canister filter? I'm having some algae problems but it could be due to flow, too much sunlight in my room, feeding flake food, tank still maturing, etc... I thought running a skimmer would solve my algae problems?

Thanks for your comments!

Forgot tank specs:
72 gallons
ro/di water only
100 lbs. live rock
2-3 inch sand bed
remora pro w/rio pump
260 watts of pc
5 months old
5 fish, all under 2 inches

[ April 16, 2004, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: heuerfan ]

glipper69

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
it's still a new tank. it takes a good 6-12 months before you are done with all of the algae blooms (if all water paremeters are good). usually algae is do to excess phosphate the best phosphate remover that I ever used and still do use is Rowaphos, it's almost the same as the phosban but it's milled finer so you get more surface area which allows you to remove more phosphate. but it is more expensive. you can also try dripping kalkwasser which since your skimming will help to export the Phosphate. it will also help to inhibit Algae growth. I would do both, you are gonna need Calcium supplements anyway. If or when you start using Phosban or Rowaphos I would scrub the rock first with a nylon brush, get rid of all the algae then start fresh with the phosphate removers. when you scrub the rock don't scrub it in the tank remove the rock a piece at a time scrub it in a seperate bucket fille dwith Saltwater then dip it and rinse it another bucket filled with saltwater. anytime I've used this method it has always worked without fail. it is time consuming and a pain in the %$#, but it works. especially when used in conjunction with Rowaphos.

good luck
Frank

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Thanks for the reply Frank, i am hoping that it is because the tank is still new. I will waited it out since its not too bad of an outbreak. I dose bionic and have good coraline coverage on the rocks and back of tank.

I will look into rowaphos also.

Thanks again,
Steven

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phosban removes phosphates not algae. yes, algae loves phosphates but don't expect phosban to remove the algae.

rowaphos is far better for phosphate removal (in my experience and opinion). However, the last time I tried to buy rowaphos I was told by the place I normally bought it that it is becoming very scarce due to the high euro value and the greedy german manufacturer.

that was a while ago so the situation might be different now.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Steve,

Agree with all above - also, a skimmer won't get rid of algea, it might get rid of the agents that start the cycle which feeds algea ,but not get rid of it -

Best thing to do, is make sure the tank is out of direct sunlight - and also consider reducing your photo period - additionally, if you have a fuge, and it's on a reverse photo period of your lights, the macro will absorb the phosphates.

Flake food, no matter how good it is is infamous for having accumulative effect problems - I feed flake food once a week and sometimes once every two weeks.

You might also cut down the feedings in frequency and/or is dosage to stop accumulation of unwanteds -

Mexican turbos and queen conchs are also a great way to combat it - mexicans for the algea on the rock etc and conchs for the sand bed.

Hope thatb helps.

Jim

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I ordered two of those phosban reactors and i plan on running one for carbon and one for rowaphos. We shall see how it turns out. I do use alot of flake food.

From what i understand, phosban will work just as well for you.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Phosban is the best thing since swiss cheese :D . Since I started using it about 2 months ago I have notice that I have to clean my glass less (slight diatom buildup every 5 days) and get no cyano buildup at all on my sandbed even in low flow areas. I have also had pretty rock solid growth for the last 2 months which may also be from the phosban. Anyway, I have read 0 on salifert testkits for phosphate before and after use but I still have definetly noticed a difference in the reduction of nuisance algaes.

Use it, you won't be sorry!

P

Pedro

Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I have come to the conclusion that those phosphate and nitrate kits are useless. I cannot read the damn color on these things.

With reduced phosphates you should definately see an increase in growth and overall improved health of your corals.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
beyondnp,

It will remove most of the phosphates from your tap water. Don't forget, in your tank you have little phosphate machines swimming around

R

Rocco

Rating - 99%
201   2   0
any thoughts on Seachems Phosguard......in comparison to the two other products used above????

I use this all of the time...........

having a cyano issue at the moment, and briopsis has been a bit more "evident".......

I thought for sure I'd see Phosguard mentioned, hmmmmmmm any thoughts?

NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use phosban, but I never heard of rowaphos. where can I get it? and a phosphate reactor? where can I learn about that?

a chemist told me that phosban is similar to car rust. has anyone heard that?

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I'm going to feed flake food once a week from now on. I was feeding the fish flake food for the past 5 months! I'm also going to install some better blinds to block the sunlight that is in the room. I have some astrea snails but will get some mexicans, i already have a fighting conch which i love but is not fast enough. I'm going to wait a month to see if this helps, i know phosban is expensive so i'm going to try not to use it.

But, if i do, would a canister filter be okay to use, or do i have to get some type of reactor?

Thanks again,
Steven

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: