ari5736

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I would like to hear opinions on which is preferred. I run 250 watt 10k MHs and I am looking to supplement them with actinic as well as have a nice light when the MHs are off. Bulbs for comparison t12 VHO URI Super actinic 160watt vs. T5 HO Helios Super blue 105 watt

Last edited:

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Generally I'd go for VHO unless it's a shallow tank under 24", but you really need to give more specific of an example such as this bulb vs. this bulb for this application.

But honestly I don't use fluorescents I prefer MH.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
randy come see mine, not that i have seen near as many as you, but all's i run is t5's and the pure antic from giesmann cast a almost purplish blue using 1 of it and 2 of the antic plus along with 3 gies 11k's. when i had mh i never used a suppliment just ran 14h bulbs

ZZROCOOL

BIG ROCK SMALL FISH
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can compare VHO side by side with T5 actinics (when I had the 120 and 102 plumbed together) and I would go with VHO everytime if space was not an issue. Plus you don't need reflectors.

typically you are talking about supplemental color, VHO color is the best and pecan is right reflectors built into the bulb

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Even though, you did not ask for this option, but I would go for my 4 x 96Leds strip actinic replacement system. I will try to find a way to show you the comparison.
Hopefully by end of next week, I can find a tank with the T12/T5 and a good photographer to take the pic.

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A problem with the question is you're comparing T5's which is the size of the bulb to VHO which is the power of the bulb.

There's no comparing 54 watt florescent bulb to a 110 watt florescent bulb and asking which is brighter.
T5's generally come in two outputs NO(normal output) and HO(high output)
T12 generally come in three NO, HO and VHO(very high output)

If you're asking which is better a T5 NO or a T12 NO, thats something that can be compared.

So if you're asking what is more important size or output that is up to the tank situation. If you have a shallow tank and want to maximize the amount of bulbs on top go for T5 HO bulbs. If you have a deeper tank or want intensity from the actinics go for the VHO's. If you already have proper lighting and you want it for a cool night look when the main lights are out, you could save some electricity and use the HO bulbs.

hope this helps

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
question along the lighting topic.... i have a VHO retrofit kit... 2 whites 2 blue... i was wondering if I should add a 250w MH into the mix, or is that overkill? its only a 36g bow tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: