dragonwrasse

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Feel free to disagree, but I'm really mad.

I bought a back-up RO membrane in June 2002. Never opened it because I haven't needed to replace it. I opened it on Sunday, but couldn't get it to fit. After a little research on the net, I discovered it was the wrong brand. I checked the order to confirm that it wasn't a mistake on my part and sent them an email. They called back saying there's no chance that a Kent membrane would end up in a Coralife box (as if I made it up), their return policy is 30 days, etc., and bottom line they won't replace it.

I'm sure there are those who think it's unreasonable for me to be mad, but there's no way you can convince me I deserved to get screwed here. I just hope it never happens to you. Much like Josh's recent experience with New World, sure, they're under no "contractual" obligation to replace it, but how about showing some gratitude for a very loyal customer? Getting burnt for thinking ahead really makes me feel great!!! What was I supposed to do? Opening something I didn't need yet just to check they didn't pack something wrong?

Now a serious question (I was so mad that I forgot to ask them), do I need to freeze the membrane to preserve it until I can sell it? Does anyone want to get this thing out of my sight?

Thanks for letting me vent. I will say that THATPETPLACE will never see a cent out of me again. It's a shame. I really like them until now. Can I change my rating on them?

If you agree with me, give me a bump.

[ May 03, 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: dragonwrasse ]

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
TFP is usally very good and I have returned things to them without any problems. Lets face it your talking almost 2 years after you purchased the thing. I don't think any place would take something back after 2 years.

I make it a general rule when I order anything mail order to open all the boxes and check to make sure the correct things are in there, even if I'm not going to use it right away. Things do happen and boxes do get switch, sometimes this are shipped in plain boxes, so you need to be careful.

When I order Cat Food I check each container to make sure none of the items are broken or are the wrong kind food. I had it happen once to me on the food, being broken, and the store made good on it even though I let them know about it a month later.

Michael

SWW1268

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
That's really too bad. Two years is a long time, but I know Home Depot would take anything I bring back as long as I have the receipt. TFP don't have to take it back, but it would have been good customer service. If you lived closer to them, you could have tried to bring it back in person.

I'm guessing someone else pulled a switch years ago and it got restocked unnoticed. It could have been an accident. You just happened to have been unlucky and got it.

I have a brand new DI cartridge that I never opened. I guess I should take a look.

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THATPETPLACE may not be the people to talk to. Perhaps you should call Kent directly, get a custumer service rep and see what they can do. Maybe you'll get a replacement cheaper. You have nothing to lose.

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
this is one of those things that is nobodys fault, you cant really expect them to take it back after 2 years, thats just crazy.

dragonwrasse

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I wouldn't say it's nobody's fault. Actually, TFP called Coralife, who of course has no idea how a Kent membrane got into a box with a Coralife label. To clarify, this is just a regular cardboard box with a Coralife label, and like SWW said, this is most definitely a repackaging error on, tah tah, TFP (BTW, F doesn't stand for fish here).

I agree, they don't HAVE to do a damn thing. It would just be a NICE gesture to and to me the RIGHT thing to do to a loyal customer that bought 95% of his equipment from them, and I would have posted "What a nice store", and they'll still have me as a customer, and nobody has to hear me rant like a lunatic, and everyone would have been happy. I'm not asking them to give me anything, but simply to take back an unused membrane in exchange for a different one. Is that so hard?

[ May 03, 2004, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: dragonwrasse ]

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
DR,

Unfortunately, things like this lead you to buy a new one and then return the wrong one for a full refund - less the shipping - stuff like this makes people do crazy things - I agree, I would check too if I got it mail-order but I would never unpack and check compatability -

Unfortunately, the fault is a shared one here and Craker is right, if they new good Customer Service, they would have replaced it for the cost of shipping - I know aquaticreefsystems.com would have replaced it in a second less the shipping.

Anyhow, you might want to also try selling it to someone who needs it so you don't take a complete beating.

Good luck

House

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Although they have gotten most of your business, to them you are a regular guy. Should this have been say , PA or MD, they might have done the right thing. TFP if too mainstream.

On the other hand, afters 2 years you are pretty much out of luck. It's one of those live and learn things. Now you know. Just try and sell it and recuperate some money, if you can. HTH

tonyyammine

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
you really cannot get too mad ..you had this for 2 years,if it was your store and someone told u to exchange an item they bought 2 years ago,i doubt you would exchange it..its no ones fault but these things happen and when u buy something through the mail you should always check to see what you got..i dont have to tell u this because im sure u will check everything you get from now on..i think if u do call kent marine im sure they will help you out..

dragonwrasse

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I may be naive to trust that a vendor wouldn't pack (or repack) things wrong, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who does not open things before needed. The truth is that I probably still won't know it's the wrong one until I take apart the unit to replace the part. It's not really about whose fault it is (mostly not me). It's about good costumer service.

To those who are diligent with checking everything, good for you, and again I hope nothing like this ever happens to you. I just think it's very easy to preach when you're not the one getting screwed. Pedro and I had a few talks about QTing fish from Fishtown, not that I've ever used my QT.

Live and learn, I guess. As they say, there are plenty of fish (stores) in the sea.

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
DW,

Sorry to hear about the mispackaging. I would think TPP would give you a credit or an exchange for the unit. It must be the part of TPP in packing or lableing the product wrong. If TPP values it's customers, they should try and help solve the problem of the wrong packaged unit.

Peter

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Sorry to hear about the filter. But are you absolutley sure it doesn't fit? From my understanding, they are all a standard size and are interchangable between manufacturers.

I have read that you need to keep the membrane in a sealed baggy with some water either in the fridge or freezer. Not sure which. The fact that you haven't run any water thru it, probally means the preservative is still doing some of its job.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: