heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Hey guys, my RO/DI unit is about 7 months old. Its almost 48 hours and my 3 gallon reserve is not even filled up yet, not even a gallon worth. I don't think i need to change the membranes because I tested the water with a TDS meter, 001. Maybe there's a clog somewhere?

Thanks for your advice,
Steven

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I have a flush valve but when i try to flush i don't hear anything happening. Pressure shouldn't be low because i didn't touch anything and the sink is working fine. I'll email the manufacturer and see what they say.

mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Definitely sounds like there's a clog somewhere in the unit. If your unit has filter canisters, remove them, screw back on the covers and see if they're the cause of the blockage.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Steve,

Also keep in mind, pressure is not something that you can see - when I make my water during the day, my pressure guage says 35 which is way too low and make alot of waste. But when I make water at night and my pressure is 65, it makes water like a charm - BTW - tds rating doesn't change (fro me) based on pressure.

Hope that helps, also, 8 months may be time to change your filters especially since you have been setting up a new tank with it. I typically change mine every 6 months (or when I notice a drop in the TDS reading).

Just my $.02

House

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Hey House, i was thinking that may be the case, but the unit is still putting out good water 001 reading on meter. I thought once it gets to 010 and above thats when you should change?

Any advice on how to measure the psi? I have a better idea, why don't you come over and fix it for me! LOL

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
LOL,

Well, I wish I could but I bought mine with the guage built in - not sure how to do the add-on

The only thing I would be careful about is the saddle valve - if that gives it's a pain in the A**

I would try using new filters and washing out the system - they are usually cheap - I got mine for $29 for the set of three including a DI at AquaticReefSystems - they were running a sale and I bought 3 sets :)

Hope that helps you out - one thing that I have seen is a shut-off valve on the waste side - I thought that was a kewl way to limit waste and create back pressure - the less waste water, the more being filtered - only thing is I am not sure it make the water go through any faster.

How's the Digi, I need to see a pic of my baby!

House

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
How is the waste water flow? If it has slowed down, then this probally means one of your prefilters is clogged. I have this problem alot with the sediment filter. I have to take it out and rinse the sediment mud off of it for about every 10 gallons of water I make.

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Yes it does, but atleast I know it's filtering the water. I am so amazed at how dirty my water is. I've been using one of the 1 micron absolute filters (reefanantics) and it pulls 10x times as much sediment as the 0.5 micron nominal filters ever did.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Update, removed and rinsed the fiters with tap water. The first filter was entirely covered with this thick brown mud (nasty!). I then reinstalled the filters and flushed the unit for about 15 minutes. I just realised i never flushed the unit from the time i got it. Maybe this is why the filters were so dirty? Thanks for the tip DallasNYC.

The manufacturer is selling replacement filters, check this out, seems like a good deal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2359518301&category=20684&rd=1

mgchan

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Hard to believe the water is so filthy in the city!!!

I live outside of the city and I have to deal with hard water. After over a year of using my RO/DI, I decided to change my filters about 6 months ago and surprisingly the filters were pretty clean. Not what you guys described with yours! I probably could've just rinsed them out and used them again.

I went with a finer micron thinking it would filter out more, but after what Dallas said, it's now bugging me to check my filter! LOL

[ May 12, 2004, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: mgchan ]

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Dallas,

I agree with you - I wnet with a 1 mc filter and you haev to see it - I purposefully got a clear cainsters so I could see the nastyness - and since I get my water from Ulster county (and NYC gets it from the resevoir right up the blcok from me) Now I know why it's so dirty!

Heuerfan, I think the link is a good deal, but you'll have to change the DI filter more often since they are only 5mc's - see, if you have a better filter up front, you won't exaust your DI or second chamber block as fast -

Anyhow, I am glad it was only dirty and not clogged - and anytime you need to call for this tuff, you go right ahead and call.

Catch you.

House

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
OFF TOPIC!

Originally posted by House of Laughter:
How's the Digi, I need to see a pic of my baby!
House
Your baby is doing great, its waiting for another sibling from you! :D My camera can't capture how nice of an orange this frag is but you can see the difference in color between the green digi on the right.

Thanks again House!

orangedigi.JPG

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my order from BUCKEYE. RO DI resin, sediment cartridge, and carbon block. Very reliable and quick. If you havnt checked out this sight do so. The savings are great.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
UPDATE: got the filters from Aquasafe and i'm happy to say my ro/di unit is back in business! I can finally do a waterchanges for my tanks which they desperately need! LOL

I definitely recommend the Aquasafe unit, its very inexpensive and my water test for 000 TDS and 0 Phosphates with a Salifert test kit. Can't go wrong for $50.00, which will last me 2.5 years (change every 6 months).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: