ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Ugg, I just bought a refractometer ($43) and measured the salinity of my reef tanks. But before I give the results, a little history,

For years I have been using a swing arm hydrometer ($12 purchased when I didn't even know what SPS/LPS stood for) and have religiously kept my salinity at 1.022. I keep it at this level (slightly lower than suggested) so I have some leeway in case I ever got too busy and happened to forget to add water one day (I do it manually so I have a much greater control over my tanks parameters, plus it didn't help that a float switch failed on me once and dumped water all over my living room). So I would say that my salinity fluctuations were 1.022 to 1.024/1.025, as measured by the hydrometer. These parameters were ongoing in my tank for about 8 years.

And with the drum roll going, I present the results:
Hydrometer reading 1.022 ---- Refractometer reading 1.025.
I am assuming that those times that my hydrometer was reading 1.024/1.025 I really must have been starting to mimic the dead sea (actualy salinity of 1.027/1.028).

Well needless to say I threw my old swing arm hydrometer out the window, after smashing it against many walls and stepping on it a few times,
(the short spurt of violence made me feel much better, ;) ).

I've spent hundreds of dollars on SPS colonies without blinking an eye, but never spent the money on a good tool to measure salinity in my tank. I could/should kick myself in retrospect. Does anyone play soccer?

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Rich, aka SPS Pimp (LOL),
I thought for sure I was going to get a tongue lashing from you, or at least flamed.

Now we both need a good swift kick. You can't let those efflo's die!!! How about I kick you and then you return the favor and kick me back :D .
Shaun.

christobree

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I was using the seatest hydrometer and it was reading 1.022. A new model came out and I decided to buy it to compare the difference. The new one read 1.032!!!! Thats when I decided to order a refractometer.It read 1.025. Both hydrometers were off but the new one was worst. I recommend that anyone using a hydrometer change for a refractometer. ;)

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Funny thing is I went to great lengths to get a refractometer, and now never even use it again!

Actually, I found the same thing marrone did with it being off by a bit, so now when I use my hydrometer, I know to just add the difference to the reading.

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
lol, yea, I was the one who set up that whole group buy........ :D

I have tons of stuff I have bought and to this day still have never opened the box....

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Anyone who would like a swift kicking, get in line - I still use the floating type with the thermometer inside - man, I love this hobby :(

I haven't measured my salinity in 1/2 a year - maybe we shold have a paddle line for all of us
approve.gif

Anyone have a good resource for getting in on a group buy for these?

House

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey House,

I'll talk to my dad again and see if he can ask his friends if another group buy would be possible if there is enough interest?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: