Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 09:20 AM
in the coral sea...
Reefer Ratings: (47 (100%)
Friends: (19)
Send a Private Message My Facebook View Josh's Twitter Profile
Does anyone know if there is a way to tell if your Vortech battery backup is fully charged?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Reefer Ratings: (27 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Surface agitation is the key to oxygenating the water. So make sure whatever you use it breaks the surface of the water

www.modeltrainforum.com
Old 06-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Reefer Ratings: (54 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
Thanks for posting this Kathy, very proactive of you to post this for inexperienced reefers like myself.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Reefer Ratings: (21 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
UPS units can be purchased online ( I buy from Newegg.com) Get the largest unit you can afford but skip all the bells and whistles (LED displays and such) if you want to save money. HINT! You are looking for the biggest VA # you can afford.

If you don't want to spend that much money, get a small power inverter (RadioShack, Costco, Bjs and others) But something that is rated for at least double your desired load, so if you want to run return pump say at 80W, get a unit that will handle at least 150 Watts. Don't go nuts getting a unit that does 300-600 or more watts if you are only going to run couple of small poweheads braking the water surface (2 SEIO 620s will draw only about 15-20 watts), as these units will waste more energy in the process. The efficiency of these units is not at 100% or anywhere near. Using a power inverter you can connect any 12V battery (yes even one from your car) and run it longer than an UPS unit because the battery capacity is much larger (provided your battery is not "well done") Once the battery runs out you can swap it to one from the next car (down the block )while charging your dead unit at friends house. You can even run to the store and buy another car battery (much cheaper then loosing your reef)

I recommend running two power heads on the opposite side of the tank one facing up at a 45 degrees angle and the other blowing straight or even little towards the bottom in the direction of the first powerhead. This will provide both circulation and gas exchange at the water surface.

One more thing about battery operated air pumps. REMOVE the stone from the airline as large bubbles coming out from the airline will displace much more watter then million of small bubbles. You are looking to move watter to the top of the column, not infuse air into it.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (110 (100%)
Friends: (136)
Send a Private Message
A few things...we are expecting rather strong storms tonight that will thankfully break this heatwave (Yippee!!!!!), but with those strong storms we are expecting strong winds..so stay in touch with with your neighborhood to find out if the power goes out if you cannot be at home.

Might also be a nice idea for those of you who are still running your MH's (especially in South Brooklyn & Yorkville where they've already reduced the power) to maybe turn them off if they run into this evening ..and free up some electricity for everyone else to keep their reefs going

One question on the thread we don't have an answer for is this one:
Quote:
Does anyone know if there is a way to tell if your Vortech battery backup is fully charged?
anyone know?

I also have a question about UPS's...will you get less power out of it if you turn it on & off for certain time periods to make it last longer? Run it for an hour, turn off for an hour,,turn back on..etc?
Does anyone know for sure?

Quote:
One more thing about battery operated air pumps. REMOVE the stone from the airline as large bubbles coming out from the airline will displace much more watter then million of small bubbles. You are looking to move watter to the top of the column, not infuse air into it.
Xoom..I cannot say that I agree with you. Yes, we ARE looking to infuse oxygen into the tank..the fish need it to breathe. No point in big bubbles to help in oxygen exchange if the fish are dead due to lack of air.
Units designed to infuse oxygen into the water do use airstones..that is their purpose. We would still physically move the water with our hand, a bucket or the drill to accomplish the oxygen exchange, but an airstone is still the best way to get air to the fish
If I am wrong..someone please jump in with a good argument !!

Thanks to all who have posted such great info on here!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Reefer Ratings: (27 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Kath you will not lose as much power if you turn the ups off and back on again because there is nothing putting a load on the battery.

www.modeltrainforum.com
Old 06-10-2008, 05:51 PM
RM Staff:  - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (35 (97%)
Friends: (41)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Well there is no way to measure the battery, but if it has been plugged in it recharges automatically--- you see it recharging by the rapidly blinking green light on the battery power supply. If the light is a constant green, it indicates the battery is fully charged according to the charger's sensor. Exactly how much run time that ensures is a matter of faith in the product. I suppose you could test it and see how long it goes.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Reefer Ratings: (110 (100%)
Friends: (136)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefmcfuz View Post
Kath you will not lose as much power if you turn the ups off and back on again because there is nothing putting a load on the battery.
Thanks Brendan..good info to have so we can actually extend the usefulness of the UPS

Thanks Randy..I'm sure the folks with Vortechs will appreciate that info too!!

Last edited by KathyC; 06-10-2008 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 06-10-2008, 07:55 PM
LE Coral Killer
Reefer Ratings: (143 (100%)
Friends: (65)
Send a Private Message My Facebook
For the Vortech on battery, the power outlet is 24V. The battery powered outlet is 12V. Can't someone get a 12V AC/DC transformer and plug it into their Vortech and UPS? The only thing you would need to find is the minimum Amps needed to power the Vortech and in theory, I think it should work. This way, I can power my return pump and my Vortech off the single UPS I already have.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Reefer Ratings: (21 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyC View Post

Xoom..I cannot say that I agree with you. Yes, we ARE looking to infuse oxygen into the tank..the fish need it to breathe. No point in big bubbles to help in oxygen exchange if the fish are dead due to lack of air.
Units designed to infuse oxygen into the water do use airstones..that is their purpose. We would still physically move the water with our hand, a bucket or the drill to accomplish the oxygen exchange, but an airstone is still the best way to get air to the fish
If I am wrong..someone please jump in with a good argument !!

Thanks to all who have posted such great info on here!!!
I read an article somewhere (I believe BAS Aquatica) that stated that big bubbles will move water more rapidly providing both decent circulation and gas exchange. It stated that it was more effective then infusing air into the water but letting the rest be rather stagnant. Now, if you were infusing pure oxygen that might have been a better choice. There was also some mention about peroxide but I am not sure if it would apply to reef too. I'll try to find that Aquatic issue later.