ari5736

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Just got a marine battery with power inverter to keep tanks warm and circulating in case of outage; been meaning to do so for a while but the storm has pushed me over the edge.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
What kind of ups are you using? I am looking at one at costco for like $50. The only thing is that it said that it could power something for only 4hours max. I am not sure if I can just run a powerhead for longer than that.

A UPS can run longer than 4 hrs, or shorter. It all depends upon the load you're putting on the UPS. If you're reading a box at Costco, the advertisement might be for powering a desktop computer. Running a low load powerhead could actually last 8-10 hrs compared to the load listed on the box. Compare the wattage listed on the box to wattage you'll be using it for.

I will say this, a $50 UPS is very cheap and most likely won't offer you much run time. You will get what you pay for with regard to battery life/durability.

Russ

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Not sure if anyone has looked, Cabela's hhas generators in stock. Bang in from work tomorrow and take a ride to PA pick up a generator and then take a ride back. They have a great restaurant in the store and lots of other goodies as well.

Joker4132

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Could someone kindly confirm my theory on a UPS Purchase and see if my math makes sense.

Am planning on purchasing a UPS of approx. 325W and 550VA and I am hoping only to run a Simple K1 powerhead if the power does go out.

So 550VA * .06 = 330 available watts
330 available watts / 4 watt K1 load = 82.5 run time....

Does this seems right??

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Just incase anyone doesn't have a battery powered air pump yet (shame on you!:joke:) or their's is broken, I was just in West Marine (in Patchogue) and they had plenty in stock for $11.99 each (includes about 18 or so inches of airline tubing and a small airstone.) The one I had from when I started the hobby is on the fritz, so I picked up an extra two today. Better safe than sorry!

h2o

Wanna be clown fish pimp
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
just picked up a battery operated air pump but now i can't find batteries any where just my luck? will one of these pumps even help that much my tank is only 57 gallons but don't i need flow?
rite aid have all kinds of batteries , flow would be good but with out the air pump your fish will be dead with in 10 hours or so

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I missed the shipping deadline to get a Vortech back-up.

Here is my back-up.

H plug fused dc cord. Then connected to the battery out of my boat (115ah). Also can power by Powerbrite led off the battery.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1314404392878.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1314404392878.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 269
  • uploadfromtaptalk1314404412772.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1314404412772.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 270

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: