Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i am interestin buying anemone, but still not sure yet if i want to get blue carpet or rose. there are still a lot of thing i am still consider.right now i have 58 gallon tank with 250 watt mh plus 2 95 vho, i also have a true percula clown fish in my tank. i know it will be 50/50 for my percula to host the rose anemone. but i also like the blue carpet.

my question are:
1. when the anemone move,do you guys think will kill my coral, or just the sting will kill the coral?
2. i also have a deresa clam, do u think will move to my clam and kill it?
3.should i go with carpet or rose/
4. is the lighting on my tank is enough for anemone?
please help me decide. more comment will be better

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Justin,

All good questions -

Some relative answers:

1) Anenome's move
2) When they move they still everything it it's path
3) They don't typically eat something along their move (like a clan or coral)
4) Your light is fine - anenome's are more sensative to water parameters than light (although like is also very important) They can move to find thier optimum light, they can't move to find the optimal water conditins, although they will also move for flow.
5) I am not an expert, but I think rose's are more sensative and carpets more hardy.

Hope that helps,

House

Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
what do u mean by :When they move they still everything it it's path. do u mean that the anemone will also can move on the top of coral. let see i have green star polyps. can amemone move on the top of green star polyps and destroy them or will the anemone move different way/
thx for the input house

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Well, since they are stingers, they will typically sting everything it comes in contact - how the animal responds to the sting, however depends o the animal.

Corals will respond to the sting, clams will more than likely close and survive the sting, star polyps are pretty resilient and should survive,

Also, this would depend on the amount of time the animal was exposed to the sting.

It is not likely that the anenome will rest on top of a coral, it uaually will grab onto rock, not corals.

Hope that helps,

House

E

erik2003

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I bought a RBA from e-bay. It arrived in good condition, and was a great purchase. Anemones are truly a great addition to a tank.

My BTA appears to be pretty hardy. While they do move about the tank, they move to change location, not for hunting (unlike say a starfish). Therefore, Anemones do not move alot. Mine stays in one place for a significant period of time, and has only moved twice, probably due to me changing the pumps around.

As for which one you get; think about the size of the Anemone and the tank. The carpets get larger than the BTAs. Therefore, you will need more open space for the Carpet A. The BTA needs less open space, but they still open up pretty wide. My RBTA opens up about 8 - 9 inches. Therefore, you will have to consider how much room you have, and the types of corals you have near the location you will like the Anemone. Also, can you move your corals, should the anemone choose to relocate. If so, you have an advantage.

As for the color, I think the RBTAs are now over rated and too common. The blue carpets now appear to be rarer, heck everyone has a RBTA. Ihave actually though of getting the Blue Carpet.

As for your lighting, it is great. I use a 250w iwasaki, and one 65w PC 10K.

Hope my opinions help give you more to chew on...

beyondnp

BeyondNP
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with Erik about the movement of anemones... They do move but once they find a home, they tend to sit tight unless you change some things around. I have an electric green and a blue anemone, and I am very happy with both. The Rose I had didnt make it, so from my experience the carpets tend to be more hardy.

Good luck!

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey Justin,

My RBTA moved around alot. But it did finally settle eventually and hasn't moved since. If I change something, like lighting or water flow, it does tend to start to move again.

I'v heard of some people's carpet anemones eating the tank's fish....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: