ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
That's because of the high Ca2+ and carbonate requirement of keeping SPS.

A calcium reactor will through a lowing of the pH (due to carbon dioxide injection) cause calicum carbonate (the media inside a Ca reactor) to dissolve, releasing Ca and CO3. These molecules are the building blocks of all hard corals. The downside is a lowering of pH, due to carbon dioxide gas entering into ones tank. This is alleviated by calicum hydroxide (from a kalk reactor), which raises the pH back to normal levels (it is extremely basic, high pH).

Additionally, Ca reactors will really only maintain the Ca and Alk levels, not raise them in a healthy manner (the ratio of Ca to carbonate released is set with the reactor reaction). So, kalk reactors function to increase the Ca levels and pH if needed. However, they won't help with the carbonate requirement of calcification if it gets to low.

I use bi-ionic to set the Ca and alk levels, and then let the Ca reactor do all the subsequent work of keeping Ca and carbonate stable at a tank water pH of 8.0. Depending on Ca, alk, and pH levels, I add kalk.

[ June 07, 2004, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: solbby ]

Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
ok let see i put kalk reactor and cal reactor together on my 58 gallon tank. what will happen if the calcium more than suppose to be?
second thing, what happen if the ph go up high (since i know kalk will raise u ph high)

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Calcium will never go beyond a certain limit, because it will precipitate out of solution.

If your tank is buffered right (correct alk and Mg levels) the pH should really never get too high.

For that size tank I would just use a cal reactor and bi-ionic initially to set the correct Ca and alk levels. You really shouldn't need a kalk reactor (why not just drip kalk) unless you plan on having an extreme amount of SPS with a huge Ca requirement.

Acropora

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Solby gave a very good explanation above. That is precisely why I am using a kalk reactor on my new 450 SPS.It provides the additional boost both to calcium/alk levels and my Ph.I also do not believe that the double dosing so to speak, is necessary on smaller set ups.A kalk reactor is a very good way to dose kalkwasser.It is air tight and the units with magnetic stirrers will not clog like a power head will from calcium deposits.

[ June 12, 2004, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Acropora ]

joe

Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
inkblue said:
...i was looking for thiS. great inFo ...but if yoU don't have SPS, do you reaLLy need a ca reactoR :confused:

nah, SPS use more calcium then the other corals,
but you still gotta have good levels for LPS for there skeleton and for softies for there hmmmmmmmmmmm, i have no idea.
but if your not gonna get SPS you probebely dont need it. but if your talking about you bigger tank that ur gonna get, you might not wanna allways be putting in huge amount of b ionic, and might wanna consider a reactor. might make thing easier

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Justin_NY said:
i am curious why a lot of people from reefcentral has calcium reactor and kalk reactor for they tank?

justin,

have you been using kalk and ca reactor for the past 5months? if so what are your results and are you dripping it or using a kalk rector? thanks

-steve

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: