Acropora

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
New 450 gallon SPS Tank

I just wanted to share some pictures of a work in progress.The tank is a glass tank measuring L 96" X W 36" X H 30" with Euro bracing and two corner overflow boxes. The tank was drilled with 6 B.H.'s on the rear panel.It weighed in around 1200Lbs empty and took 12 people to safely carry it in. I used 3" diameter PVC sections to help roll it off the truck. This turned out to be an excellent way to move a heavy tank.First pics below.

Tank_move_016_resized.jpg

Acropora

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is an earlier shot of the tank with only two 250 watt Coralvue M.H.'s on. There will eventually be five 400 watt bulbs,a mix of 10000K and 20000K coralvue bulbs.You can see the wall exhaust fan, which is used to help with ventilation.The Home made hood has four 4" fans and is raised and lowered with two bicycle hoists.The sump is in the basement.
april_pics19.jpg

Acropora

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is a picture with a partial view of the stand construction. I tripled up every other stud and all four corners.The sides,back and top of the stand are sheathed with 3/4" plywood. The front opens with two doors,one on each side.
tank_on_stand.jpg

Acropora

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Originally posted by solbby:
Awesome!! :eek: :eek: Please keep the pictures coming as its progress continues.
Thank you
A shot of the fan used to vent air out of the basement.This fan is made for damp areas and has a plastic housing and fan.It also is exceptionally quite for the amount of air it moves.It is comingled with a portable A/C vent as well as the dryer vent.
venting.jpg

Acropora

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did go bare bottom this time around.It was not an easy dicision.The last DSB worked fine for 6 years until I had some problems.The problems possibly could have been caused by the general age of the set up,12 years. I can not say for sure.However in a smaller tank where I might of considered upgrading in a 5 year period I would have went with a DSB.However, I have no plans to get a larger tank. And removing a DSB from this tank was out of the question.I have some recent shots.The corals I have now fall into two categories.Coral's that I am rescuing from non ideal conditions in a holding sump and new ones.In time all will shape up.Fish will be added soon.
stylo340.jpg

Purple Stylophora

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I've always wondered about weight for such a large tank. Was that ever a concern, i.e. too much weight for the floor, did you have to brace the floor from a lower level in your house?

It has been the restriction on me surrounding myself with tanks in my apartment, and also having such a large tank like you.

Acropora

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you guys. Yes,it was a long wait. ;) The floor where the tank is on was once a screened in porch.I broke through the exterior wall of the house where the Arch(2nd picture above) is now.I built the floor up and it rests on some sleepers and a concrete slab.The tank full weighs in some where near 5000lbs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: