MikeyFingers

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all
i wanted to know if anyone had some sand for me to add to my tank.
I am setting up a nano at my job and wanted to know how much sand i should add for a 12 gallon tank and if i could get some of the sand from people's tanks so it will help my tank out. I am adding about 2lbs of live sand and maybe 1lb from my 55 at home but i want to add some more from other peoples tanks.

thanks

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with enough sand to give a covering on the bottom and not much more. The more sand in a nano, the less water and since you are already dealing with a small tank, the more water volume you have the better.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
This is a on going debate over at reef central. If you want a funtional dsb, listen to house, if you just want looks, listen to Crakeur. If it was me, i would sprinkle just enough to cover the bottom of the 12 gallon for looks.

Lots of people say that DSB's are ticking time bombs, and others say they are not.

Just my 2 cents....

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the chemistry side I understand why people think its a timebomb.. but has anyone heard of that bomb actually 'blowing up'?

I havnt...

Are they any more/less beneficial in a small tank, or is it just the ratio to sand?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
A long time ago, back in the mid 80's, a LFS guy told me that he had a customer that didn't clean or shake up their sand bed and then one day they cleaned the sand bed and all their fish died. Now the sand bed back then wasn't made of sand but of crushed coral and it built up all kinds of bad stuff and when distrubed released that stuff and killed everything in the tank.

Now the same stuff is in the sand beds and if stired up could cause big problems.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if a dsb has much impact in a nano, thus I said go with the smaller amount. I had a 7 gallon for a couple of years and the sand bed was 5 inches deep. Also, as I said, a dsb takes precious space and water volume and you'll want that when you start filling the tank with livestock

MikeyFingers

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well im thinking about going with about a 2 1/2 to 3 inches that way I get both... what i also wanted to know is if anyone can give me some of there sand so i can mix it up with the sand from my 55 and the southdown that ill get from House.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: