Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually think the tap water isn't bad but the building's pipes might be a real problem.

when I lived in soho I used the tap water and I had an algae free, thriving reef (corralline was the only algae in the tank). I wouldn't even think about using the water in my current apartment.

If you want to go with tap water, test it for every possible pollutant, including copper, phosphates etc.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Invest in ro/di unit. My friend used tap and had redslime algae problems. Although, there is someone on this board who uses tap without any problems, i belive it was Rebel.

With that said, i use ro/di.

paul

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Here in Ozone Park my tap reads 40-45 tds. I purchased a fancy RO/DI unit and got 3 TDS. Well, I was not happy about the fact that RO wasted a lot of water (I pay for water) and changing 3 carbons and 1 DI filter located in a tight space under my sink was a chore. So I purchased a tap water filter which lets me make ~150 gal of DI, 0 TDS water! Without wasting an ounce, I could not be happier.

If you have a large tank and don`t have to pay for water then RO is fine. But, a person in my position is better of with a Tap Water Filter.

Paul.

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Here's a pic of my sediment filter after making about 15 gallons of water. Luckly, most it can be washed off, so I can reused the filter a few times. I'm in the East Village Manhattan, but I don't know if it's the water or the pipes. Needless to say, a RO/Di unit is needed for my situation.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dallas_nyc/detail?.dir=/Stuff+to+Trade&.dnm=d064.jpg

[ June 23, 2004, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: DallasNYC ]

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ack! god thats gross...
nyc has some of the best tap around... and still... imagine how much of that nasty slime has passed through our own bodies.

ewwww

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Jackson, I clean it about every 15 gallons. (about every two weeks - I loose close to a gallon a day in evaperation) I can usually tell when it needs cleaning because the waste water goes down to a very slow trickle. I mentioned this in an earlier post, but Im using what they call a 1 micron 'absolute' filter. The 1 micron absolute catches much more then a standard 0.5 filter.

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Jackson, I clean it the same way. After about 3 or 4 cleanings the top layer of the filter starts pulling off. I get maybe 6 cleanings out of it. Im considering adding another pre filter before this one to try to use it a little longer. I might go with a 1 micron standard in front of the absolute.

House, The monti still looks great, It still has all its color. I glued it to a small rock and its sitting at the bottom of the tank. I need to weed out a spot to put it up closer to the lights this weekend.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: