S

Subskipper

Hello all,

I am having a problem. When I first started out with my SW tank I had no clue what I was doing. My starter fish were 4 blue devil damsels and 4 black and white damsels.

Over the months, I have added a ton of stuff to the tank and now I am faced with overly aggressive damsels wreaking havoc on my tank. I must remove them.

Problem is, I can't catch them. I do not want to tear down the live rock, move the corals etc etc to get these fish out, but they keep harrassing the expensive fish and they have killed too many already for me to let them continue in this tank.

Any suggestions on a no fail way to catch these bastards (pardon the language).

Thanks

Subskipper

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
That's why they call then blue devil fish
banghead.gif

I would try getting a fish trap and try catching them that way - do it fast, cause they get smart and eventually won't go into the tank - I have a blue from when I originally started my 30g 2 1/2 years ago and he is still in there.

House

beyondnp

BeyondNP
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have only had success catching fish during feeding time or when doing a water change (or a combo of both!). Must have wasted at least 10 hours of my life trying to catch a few troublesome fish.

Sounds silly but have you tried putting some treats in a net and sitting tight to see if you can get your damsels out?

D

drive

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i had this same problem over the weekend trying to catch a yellowtail and two dominos. fortunately for me i don't have many corals. i had to move all my live rock around to finally get them.

i feel your pain...

putting food in your net does help though. and the more aggresive i got with the net (chasing them) the more they would hide (obviously).

i found that putting some food in the net and patiently waiting in a corner got the best results.

[ June 30, 2004, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: drive ]

dragonwrasse

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The only success I've had removing fish easily was to observe which rocks they sleep in, and then remove those rocks when the lights are off.

I read a post in the NJRC forum on RC that someone (Boris?) was able to "fish" a big damsel out with a pole, but it doesn't seem like many people will have skills like that.

T

templar_1109

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
having the same prob with a diamond back, he's totaly distroyed my tank and even caused a rock slide, let me know if you find a way. right now I'm doing the food in net thing........no luck yet

S

Subskipper

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found an easier way, I watched my Hippo Tang destroy one of the black and white stripped damsel and the other fish have suddenly backed off.

Subskipper

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: