aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hey Liquid,
check your water hardness, when I started adding kent super buffer my red slime dissappeared. More than likely though, its a build up of nutrients in your system. what kind of skimmer are you running and how often and how much are you feeding?
Alternately there are a couple of red slime killers but these tend to really knock your inverts around - if it doesnt totally kill them - definitely a last resort.
Red slime is the curse of SW tanks, good luck
Aaron

LiquidBlues

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so you saying i might be feeding too much right ?
i think i could lower some of the feeding as i feed the tank flakes once in the morning and every 2-3 days at night also
when i feed corals and others I usually drop some brine/mysis shrimps and to distract the fishes from coral i feed my corals every other day

is that too much ?

[JWS]wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it all depends on the ability of your tank to process excess nutrients...

basically... how many things do you have in your tank that eats poop and leftover food.. or physically removes it from the system (skimmer)

most likely the slime is growing because you are feeding too much for what your tank can process.. what kind of cleanup crew and filtration do you have?

personally I would not 'feed less', I would try to improve the ability of your tank to process food and nutrients. a clean tank with starving creatures in it isnt very fun.

glipper69

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
how old is your tank, if it's a fairly new setup less than 6 months, this is a cycle that most tanks generally go through. it will pass with water changes. if it's an older setup than I agree witht the above. check your nutrient export and do more frequent water changes. and continue to physically taken it out as often and as much as posssible. if all else fails you can always try the Red slime remover. though this will then cause another problem it will send your skimmer into overdrive. but it will get rid of the slime.

Frank

LiquidBlues

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
up for around 4 months
i do water changes every weekend sometimes other week due to work

i brought a sand swifting goby to try to stir the sandbed up so that it won't have a chance to grow HOPEFULLY

thanx for the advice people

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: