S

Stix

Thanks to my friend, Steve (SWW1268), I have finally found what I am looking for. Seawater Express: Shrimp Farm. They farm saltwater shrimp in HUGE amounts and they are cheap. I'm getting 100 of them for $45 shipped! Guy on the phone was real nice too. He said they come 1/4 - 1/2 inch but they will eat cyclop-eeze and spirulina (which will make them extra nutritious) and will grow fast to 1" in 30 days or so. Since they are marine shrimp I am going to keep them in a nylon sheet inside my fuge with some macro so they can hang out in. I am so excited, had to share the info. I highly recommend you guys try this out and stop feeding your fish live freshwater foods which are bad for them! Anyway, here's the Link.
http://www.angelfire.com/nv2/truesaltwater/
I'll let you know how the order worked out when I get them.
-Nick

[ July 16, 2004, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Stix ]

S

Stix

I received my shipment of shrimp the other day and I must say, I've never been happier with a live shipment. Packaged great in thick styrofoam with cold packs. I dumped the bag of shrimp into a bucket and only saw one dead body out of 100 shrimp! They were so active and varied in sizes, some bigger than I had payed for. Best part is that they are shipped 2nd day, not overnight and they survival was still unbelievable. That's what makes it possible to get 100 shrimp for $45.
I went down to the Rag Shop and picked up some fine nylon netting (like a dollar a yard, dirt cheap) and sewed a net together out of it. I put the net right into one side of my refugium and put some macro algae and a couple of small rocks to hold the net down and added the shrimp. It's been a week and they are doing great! They eat cyclop-eeze like crazy which is a plus because now I know my lionfish is getting the nutrition it needs. Plus I am not losing any shrimp as I used to lose the minnows and guppies I was using for food. They are excellent scavengers so besides being a food source, they keep my fuge clean LoL. My lionfish loves these guys and it is so fun to watch it hunt them down. Anyway, just thought I'd share my good experience with you guys.
Great product + great customer support = very happy aquarist.

-Nick

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: