Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
hi guys
i really need u advice on this matter. i live in the 3rd floor and my temperature rise to 95 degrees fahrenheit with out my light. right now i am running the tank with mag drive 9.5, 2 maxi jet for the wave, 801 power head for the skimme. my lighting are 1 250 watt mh and 2 110 vho. i know it will be more hot if i turn on the light. i have a chiller, 1/10 from resun that i run it with 1200 maaxijet and could only cooldown to 84.
i also have idea from ray (rebel23 ) to blow some fan to the sump, and i did( thx ray)
do u guys think i should go with bigger chiller?
or should i just change the pump (maxijet 1200) to bigger pump?
since i been searching my chiller could go to 300-600 gph and i only use 295
any comment will help me

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Hmm,

Sounds to me like cooling off the room may be a cheaper alternative.

I have a 1/10 HP chiller as well and it is made by via aqua running on a 92 g corner with dual 250 halides and dual 96 pc's - my lights are about 8 inches from the water, though, and I run two 4 inch heat sensored fans on the hood.

I also use a maxijet 1200 on my chiller - so, I am not sure what is causing the temp problems - one thing I noticed with my chiller is that the temperature controller is off by 10 or 11 degrees - I verified this with 3 different thermostats - including a digital one, so that was the problem and not anything else.

Try checking the temp controller against another thermostat to see if it's reading properly, if it is reading properly, then try cooling the room - you can get a decent sized air conditioner for under $200 - a much cheaper alternative.

House

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
You need to vent the hot air elsewhere. Otherwise the chiller is going to work like a horse. Try putting a fan on the exhaust and blow it into another room. I have the 1/10th on my 75g. I ended up getting the 1/4hp instead. The 1/10 ran so much my room was getting way too hot. The less it runs the cooler the room will be. If you have an AC you can take turns and cool the room and tank.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Justin,
You really need to cool down the room. I have a 65gal with 2x250HQI's (5" from water surface) and VHO's with no heat problems. My canopy is well vented (open back) with 2x4" computer fans and 1x6" clip on fan. I keep the temp steady at 80F. I do run my AC 24/7 though, giving it a break on cooler nights.

HTH,
Rich

NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin

I think you need a new air conditioner.
get one with more btus than you need.

what size room is the tank in?
can it be closed completely?
I am in a studio, about 400sq ft.
I tried the chiller, but it added to the ambient temp.
SO I decided, like others here,
to just cool down the room.
My a/c also runs 24/7, getting a break whenever it can.
I don't like the a/c on so much, but, it works.

believe me, do not discount that idea

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It sounds like there is another problem somewhere. How hot does the room get?

a mag 9.5, 2 or 3 powerheads and 2 VHO's shouldnt heat a tank to 95 degrees.

Is a heater stuck on? is the mag 9.5 or one of the powerheads malfunctioning and overheating?

How close to the water are the VHO's, they can put out alot of heat.

wedfr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Also is your thermometer broken? at 95 degrees everything would be dead. and also a 1/10th chiller should bring down a 60 gallon more then 10 degrees

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
His tank is not at 95 degrees, it's the room. If his tank was at 95 degrees, his post would be about other issues. Thank god it's not that.

One thing i learned already about chillers. Do not ubdersize. Like i said, the 1/10 had to run way too much in order to keep the temp down. That created alot of heat. Now with the 1/4, it runs less. Not only does the room stays cooler, but it has no problem keeping the temp at 80 degrees.

Unless that room gets cooler, forget about that size chiller bringing down your temp any lower. It's fighting the tank temp and the ambient temp. Get more horsies on it. What brand chiller did you get?..You can still exchange it if you bought it new, that's what i did. But you might be able to get away with it, so long as you address the room heat issue. Good luck.

Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
u wrong pedro. 95 is my water temperature. right now the temperature is 85( thx god), probably because of the weather getting nice for this couple 3 days and also probably because i blow 2 fan on the top of the sump. the light is not even on when my temperature is 95

nilo

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
when i was starting my tank ~8 months ago, i tried to use old stuff and that included powerheads. i found my tank 1 day to have a temp of 85 degrees and this was without lights nor the heater inside my apartment and this was in the middle of winter. anyway, i plugged off everything and started turning on my equipment 1 by 1 separated by 3-4 hours. of course i started w/ my heater then my skimmer. i finally found out that 1 of the old pumps i was using pushed my temp 5 degrees 2 hours after plugging it in. i stopped using it. no problems since. it might help if you try the same thing. JMO. good luck.

nilo

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I think what Nilo says it right power head and pumps give off alot of heat. I use a Power head to mix water in a bucket, 200gal IO bucket, and I noticed after just a short time the temp in the bucket got very hot. I also use to use a Little Giant pump on my 75gal wet/dry and switched over to an eheim pump and the differnce in temp was about 4-6 degrees.
It does vary by Power head and pump.

P

Pedro

Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Sorry, i misunderstood you. What are you using to check the temp?..I can't see the temp being that high without severe damage.

Do what was suggested above. Check your equipment to make sure nothing is malfunctioning.

I don't think your chiller is working. Although my 1/10 struggled, i managed to keep the temp at 81-83. And that's my tank is a 75gal with alot of equipment. I run 720watts of lighting alone. I don't know what else to tell you. But you need to get it resolved ASAP. Good luck.

T

thunor

Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
justin;Just a suggestion,sent same question to reef central.com,its a natinal forum.This way you get suggestions from reefers in the south,who deal with100-111 degree temp, rutinely.one suggestion was put one way reflecters on your window to keep the suns heat-out.good luck buddy.

Justin_NY

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
thx a lot for all u help guys. nilo was right i found out that my main pump, mag drive 9.5 produce a lot of heat. i put it in the 5 gallon bucket and let it run for 1/2 hours and the water temperature is raise to 95 f. thx a lot guys

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: