S

Subskipper

How much evaporation is normal in a sump system? My 65G Tank is losing about an inch a day (from the sump, not the tank). I wonder how normal this is?

It is important to note that I recently changed from a crushed coral substrate to a sand substrate, so the protein skimmer is going bonkers and the collection cup fills up each day with the nasties, which makes me think that this is part of the missing water.

Thanks

Subskipper

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Skipper,

Evaporation is not only a necessary thing in reefkeeping, but it is a benificial one - evaporation is a result in exchange of air between the system and the outside - assuming the air outside is good, your system is operating properly -

The rate of evaporation, however, varies dramatically from system to system as the break in tank surface water tension varies based on tank volume and pumps used to circulate - I get approximately a little over a gallon of evaporation a day and I have a 92g tank with approx 25g sump. I lose well over and inch a day. More than likey, my auto top-off system goes on, replacing water at least 2x if not 3x a day.

Thw skimate being removed does have something to do with it, but will level off, once the system is cycled.

I think more information is needed to say whether or not your evaporation is "normal" or not. Tank size, dimensions, pumps used, lighting, how close it is to your tank surface, the average room temperature, what kind of circulation you have and if any of it is in direct contact with the sump, or tank surfaces?

Just to name a few -

keep in mind that evaporation is a good thing - evaporation=gas exchange.

Hope that helps,

House

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Subskipper, to give you an idea, I also have a 65gal reef /30gal sump and evaporate 2 gallons per day. The reason why I evaporate so much is because I have several fans in my canopy to keep the temp stable at 80 degrees. Evaporative cooling from fans, higher reef temps, and good water movement (surface agitation) will increase evaporation.

S

Subskipper

Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thanks everyone, glad to know that the tank is finally normal, it was a 12 hour operation to convert the tank to its proper setup, and already the rewards are amazing, the tank looks spectacular. Each day I learn more and more from everyone here and I appreciate your expertise. I look forward to meeting everyone at the next frag swap.

Thanks again

Bernard

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: