marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Petsmart sell IO for $30-$35 for the 160gal bucket, they don't make the 200gal bucket anymore but some store still have it. I think there is a Petsmart in westchester and they'll match the prices on their website. Also FishTown runs sales on salt 200gal Tropic Marin $54 and 160gal CoralLife $30-$34.

The shipping on salt from place like That Fish Place and Pet solutions is high. That almost brings the cost close to what you would paid for it at a LFS.

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Sorry about that I had forgot he gives me a special price because I have been dealing with him for a long time.I have an extra bucket if your are interested and I will give it to you at my price.$40...Tim

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still fail to understand why people use a CHEAP SALT.

You have SALT WATER TANKS......

Ingredients = 2.

WATER, and SALT.

CRYSTAL SEA will lead to some amazing disasters in your tanks with Cyano bacteria and hair. Also it has a very poor longjevity to it's PH and buffer capasity. I personaly have ruined 3 tanks by using that salt in less than 3 weeks time.

PLEASE trust me on this one. You are asking for serious problems if you use that "suckers" salt.

www.aquacraft.net. Biosea salt. It really is not the absolute "cheapest" price wise, but for the price, the quality is superior to any that other junk.

MDP has been sayinbg he is in talks with ReefSplendor to get them to carry it "over here" on the east coast. I would carry it, but not enough people seem interested in buying it at a great price, so f'yall... LOL.

seriously... yeah, we do use a lot of salt in our hobbies, but if you can't affort one of the key elements in what composes a "SALTWATER TANK" then why bother ?

[ August 13, 2004, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: grevedin ]

FastUno

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
How do you guys feel about Tropic Marin. A little more on the expensive side, but is it worth it? Is anyone using it & any difference?

If there is something that will guarantee to be more beneficial I am willing to fork over the extra dough, but without any evidence (other than company's pompous advertisement or LFS recomendation as a result of increased profit) it's hard to make a decision. So basically the general reefing public tends to side with the cheaper brand, or the consensus.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It's seems alot of people use IO, from surveys on RC. I've always used Tropic Marin and at 1 time it was the best salt around but that was back in the 80's-90's where there were only a couple of brands around. I've alway found that my corals, and fish, seem to do and look better when I use Tropic Marin over IO. Price wise the cost isn't that much away.

I'll think you'll find that most people are very strongly in favor of using one salt over the salt, which is usally the salt that they're using. Most of the salt now a days are very good and you should go with what works best for you. The prices are salts are fairly close so it shouldn't come down to cost, specially when you're spending so much on corals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: