jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
thousand Island aquarium is the most expensive store in our area hands down. World class aquarium is a close second. I have seen small yellow polyp rocks selling for $60!!!! Toadstools for $75 and GSP's for $50. I have been to New world aquarium and for the most part I thought they were reasonably priced. I bought a green plate for $30 and a 2" green monti frag for $20.

Dopler

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by grevedin:
Hi Mark,

If you are looking to0 stock your new tank, I have qyuite a few soft corals I am selling to make room for my SPS. You will see the pictures on this site under grevedins tank and I would be happy to go down on the prices on some of the pieces.

Let me know.
grevedin..Sweeetttt tank I went and checked out your pics..beautiful

I

iceman716238

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New york aquaria is located at 421 mamaroneck avenue, mamaroneck. It is 1 block from the metro north train station. Its not that far from new rochelle.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Funny about New World Aquarium I was also good friends with the owner, and his prior partner that move to Va, and was somewhat happy that they moved, it was in walking distance of me. But when I was upgrading my tanks and wanted him to hold a fish for me, which I was going to pay for, for a week and he told me no which at that point I told him fine and haven't bought anything from him for a long time.

Part of the reason his fish are so high is because he bought the building and now has high overhead. But some of his prices have been coming down, I guess he hasn't been selling enough, that and he must be getting comments from his people on the high prices. I got this from a conversation that I had with the guy that purchased the fish for him and he tried to tell me how they don't sell their fish cheap like some other places, Fish Town USA?, and then try to make their money on dry goods. He told me that he rather hold the fish than sell them cheap and have them die. He also told me that they had high overhead and that was the part of the high cost.

Aquatic Treasure, in Queens, the guy has some really nice corals but very expensive. The problem with him is he wouldn't sell any of the nicer corals, he wants to keep them for himself, and everything else is way over priced. Every coral tht I ask him about he wanted to kept himself and then he gets upset when I didn't buy anything, like I'm going to pay $80 for star polpys.

One place to check out is Petland on W72nd off of Broadway. It run by Tom, who the manager, and he really takes care of his tanks & fishs. The selection is small but he has 2 nice reef tanks & small selection of saltwater fish.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Yes the fish room is downstairs and they have a tank with corals and another with inverts & live rock. The corals are in one tank and depending on the week they could have alot or a little. The corals for most part go very fast as do do get in some nice things as Tom personally picks them out. They have a small selection of fish. It's worth checking out specially in NYC as the stores are dewilling to just a few.

jreef

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the heads-up.

As I've been able to avoid flatworms so far, I'll be carefull. The Anemones are easy to deal with using some kalk.

jreef

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Stopped by Aquatic Treasures and Creations over the weekend.

Creations had a healthy setup, nice captive-raised fish, but very minimal inverts stock. Owner seemed like a nice guy and was very honest. Would enjoy seeing the store succeed.

Treasures had a fair amount of softies/lps which looked fairly healthy, however the fish were in sad shape. Looked like a new indo shipment came in and a ton of the fish were dead/on their last legs from cyanide (at least one tusk and half a dozen bengais). Felt bad for for the owner, Yung, who was a nice guy and seems to know his stuff. He was also very honest (ie. before I got there on the phone the day before said he wouldn't sell me either of the tusks that came in until they had been there at least a week). Rare trait for this business.

In sum, both are worth stopping by every now and than.

Xtrakritical

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by LOVEMYREEF:
lets not forget our brooklyn stores

there is 1000island aquarium on utica ave
there is a chinese aquarium store on 48st 8th ave
there is one on 86st world of pets
plus brooklyn zoo on ralph avenue
Well I decided to try out a few of the LFS you guys had mentioned and here are my views...

First if u havent been to aquatic creations in Williamsburg, try to check em out! The shop itself is connected to a skate shop(how cool is that) and I walked into some reggae music(Bob Marley too bad I had nothing to light up!
and an Awsome shark and eel tank Im guessing about 1600 gallons made of 2" plexi! woo wee! Nice tanks and fish and some Great guys! and although they didnt have any corals I was interested in, I felt the need to purchase something just becuase I really like the whole (vibe)setup!
Btw they have also used stuff (skimmers, ballasts, ect.)I grabbed a couple of timers for 5 bucks...

from there I went to Flatbush ave.
Worldclass the same (Grumpy) old guy comes from the back looks at me (I say Hiya doin?)then I dunno?!?! Whatever I didnt see anything I wanted anyways!

On my way to Utica Ave. Brooklyn Zoo & aquarium (Not too sure why, never a good Xperience there yet!)
I thought since im on THE BUS and was passing 1000 Island aquarium Might as well stop by...
ended up leaving with this...
19228next_morning.jpg

Boss lady behind the counter seemed more interested in her phone convo than my $150. but honorable mention to the man(so bad with names!)that was working hard on the tanks and in the back but still took the time to help me out!

After stopping home and resting for a sec(by acclimating blue carpet) I decided to go pass by the location on 4818 8th ave by 48th st.
Fish world aquarium & pet supplies(Brooklyn) Since its not THAT far from me.

nice guy, good prices, and decent(small) selection of corals and fish, but nice! So I left a few $$$ there too!

Oh and WOP on 86th Street,
The ONLY thing I wanted from there was the girl at the counter! HOT

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: