Vic8361

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Just wanted to let everyone know when things go down hill from not staying on top of things. I have been so busy at work and so exhausted that I have been slacking off with the maintances (ex. Water changes,testing,cleaning of the skimmer and feeding).
My alk and specific gravity were low. Ever since I have switched to working nights it's been much harder for me to stay on top of things and my tank is starting to show signs of it. I am losing a few corals like my orange cap, Table and a few others. After my tank was doing so well this happened.
I felt I needed to share when things go bad from not doing what I should have been doing. not only sharing when things are doing great.
I haven't lost much so I hope I could get things back the way they were. So now I will bring it back slowly by making a few small water changes and rising my alk slowly. I hope to stay on top of it and not lose more of what I have worked so hard for to keep.
I hope after telling you this information you learn from my experience.

Vic

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hay Vic thanks for sharing this information. I think anyone who has had the opertunity to meet you knows of your love for the hobby and I have no doubt in my mind that youll have things turning around in no time.

gforce6

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Hello Vic!!!

I feel bad that your tank is not doing well. I was going to call you for some frags, but I guess next time. I hope you bring it back to the moment I saw your tank.

Jung

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Vic, you only have a few thousand corals in your tank ;) :D . Losing a few pieces won't effect the overall look of your reef. Do a few water changes, change your media, and try to find time to devote a few hrs per week (if possible). We all go through our ups and downs in reefing, it's part of the hobby. I'm sure you'll bounce right back

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Vic, my friend - keep your head up bro. Since his is a very complicated hobby, it may not be what you are doing (or not doing ) that is making your reef fall off a little.

If you need a helping hand, I'l come over and we can do it all in an hour. Water change, testing, etc. 2 hands are better than one and I'd hate to see your reef fall off too much.

Let me know, Vic, your tank is an inspriration to this hobby.

Jim

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Hey Vic don't worry I'm sure when you get the water levels back to where they were everything will be fine. Alot of the corals resilient and over time, somethings a very short time, they bounce back.

In this hobby it always seems to be 2 steps forward and 1 step back, it can be very frustration some times but we all just keep plugging away. I'alway say I spent more time on my little reef tank than I do on my large fish tanks.

Vic8361

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Thanks for the kind words from all of you. I made a water change, changed the carbon, cleaned the skimmer and tuned the reactor. I aso have another water change ready. Things start to look like they're bouncing back. So far I lost my table purple rim cap and my orange cap is in pretty bad shape. Some other corals have lost most of there colors hopefully they'll bounce back as well.
Thanks again and sorry for the late responce.

Vic

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey Vic,

Sorry to hear. Hang in there, thing should be ok. Seems like all people that have had reefs for an extended period of time eventually go through some type of down turn.

jdepp

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man i'm goin through the same thing i let the tank go due to work getting the house redone for the arrival of my son so the doctors say, and the macro litterally took over, all my corals started bleeching and the salinity was real high, thank god for the auto topoff. i did a 50% h2o change cleaned out all the macro and everything is coming back right. the weird thing is that however hard people say it is to have clams its the only thing that actually grew and stayed healthy looking in the whole tank besides the shrooms all sps and lps were going down hill. this has made me invest in controllers and co2 timers and hopefully i can take out some of the maintenance, except h2o changes. but i had no timer for a while and the lights being out for 2 days didnt help either. your tank will bounce right back and now you have something to remember for next time. i always kick myself now as my xiena were literally growing up the glass it was awesome now it is down to only 3 small poloyps i hope it grows back i liked them. keep up the good work

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: