nycmat

nYo
Rating - 98.2%
55   1   0
always tell ahead of time. this is the way you always have an out, i have a 215 the wieght is apporximately 2500lbs. thats a lot in a small house. regarding the wieght look at it this way. if you have a party and you invite 20 people who all weigh approximately 200lbs. would the floor collapse if they all came in the same room? i would think not or i wouldnt feel that it would be safe to let my family go there. next think about this for a sec.

if you lay that across the beams of the apartment it displaces the wieght accordingly so that it doesnt run just along 2 beams in the apartment. regardless of where you do thi sit is best to find out where and how the beams run in your place. this will help with placemtent.
now the no pets means pets that can be loud smelly and otherwise can ruin the apartment. this is what most landlords do not want in there houses cats smelly ...., dogs loud yaps and fish are neither. so ask this will ease your concious and establish a relationship with you and your landlord making life a lot easier.

also there are calculators that willl help with your wieght issues that you should know before hand
matt

welcome

memito

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again everyone for your great responses.

I am going to get my apartment search into gear next week... I will talk to the landlords/management about having tanks early on... as some have mentioned, I don't think they are going to care too much... hopefully.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I would ease into that conversation by asking if fish are considered pets by the landlord. not, is it okay if I put a ton of water in my living room ?

memito

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jhale said:
not, is it okay if I put a ton of water in my living room ?

:shocked1: :lol:

Yeah, I am going to avoid the exact tonage I am planning to put in my apartment... though I am going to be shocked if someone asks exactly how many gallons I plan to have or even worse, if they say there is a XX gallon limit.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
no one knows how many gallons are in a tank by looking at it, I could say my 120 is a 55 and most people would believe me :P non-reef/fish people that is.

Melt

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
man go for it.....I live on the second floor...i started with a 55g then move to a 90g and now i am at 120g with a 30g sump...when i was getting the 120g , i got a great offer for a 180g for $150 more but i didn't have the space or not i will have it...Go for it forget bout the land lord, all they study is rent...

In the begining you will be looking for leaks and if your floor give way but after a couple weeks..thats history in your mind..

GO FOR IT

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: