Chris

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if mine are just bleached. Some are very bright yellow and others are a kind of faded yellow. Any info would be great.

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
logical ocationa;llly has thgese CRAZY neon orange/yellow rics that I've seen. do you have a pic? even a bad one would be better than none.

C

Crakeur

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large rock of yellow and green rics that I picked up thanks to thelogicalreef. I also have one of those hot pink and orange with blue and green rings ricordia, also courtesy of thelogicalreef.

Nobody paints their ricordia better than bryan. Oh, was I supposed to say that Bryan?

Chris

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me work on a pic, will post it tomm. I asked because if they are bleached then I will prob have to feed them, correct?

C

Crakeur

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong but, aren't ricordia not very light-demanding? I always thought that they didn't need intense light. If that is the case, the bleaching might be possible. Try moving the shrooms into a lower light area of the tanka nd see if they recover some of their color.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Generally speaking, yellow ricordea is either dyed or bleaching. There have been several debates about this during the past couple of months. Apparently a lot of ricordea and anemones are coming in dyed yellow or red.

-Alfred

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
this is fromk the logical reefers site
orangericact.jpg

orangeric.jpg

you can see some of them splitting. I haoppen to think they are real, but I have heard a lot about artifical coloration of corals.

[ February 10, 2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: The Great Rupert ]

Chris

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine look nothing like the above. I am beginning to suspect they are bleached. How do I revive them?

C

Crakeur

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while I have joked about Bryan of thelogicalreef.com painting his zoos and shrooms before selling them, I must say that the ricordia posted are real. I have some real wild colored ricordia in my little reef and one massive colony that is similar to the ones you posted here, both bought thru bryan and they have not lost one drop of color and the large colony has had a few shrooms split and the color is still there.

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's ricordia like this that make you beleive in a higher power, well, besides the IRS.

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coralsandbar.com has those yellow ricordia, but they cost 25 bucks a pop. the site says he should have some soon.

kennerd

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased dyed single shrooms in the past: they look like a yolky-lemony yellow. Just keep them where they are: the last one I bought like this turned into a fantastic maroon/green ricordia yuma. Takes about 3-4 months for them to pass the dye out of their system and get their natural zoox going again. very interesting process.

Then again, I'd recommend NOT buying dyed corals if you are aware of it. Check out this RC thread I posted to a year ago of a dyed alevopora: pretty tempting, eh? LFS, too. The photo ended up being used in the following article from reefkeeping online mag's Sept 2002 issue. Good reading:

The Tragedy of Artificially Colored Live Corals
and additional article in the same issue (which is where the pic is posted)
Additional Commentary on Dyed Corals
YELLOW_GON1.JPG
YELLOW_GON2.JPG

sci33

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to have orange ricordia just as bright as those in the pic, if not then brighter, and it wasn't died (as it was propogated from another reefer's tank). Also I remember reading if a coral is died then the entire coral is one color, if it has more than one color in it then it can't be died - but I'm not sure on the validity of that statement.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: