marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I'm having a hell of a time keeping my Alk level up, it's being running about 4 - 6. My Ph is 8.2-8.4 and my calicum is 425 but no matter how much Alk booster I'm putting in the Alk keeps droping. I'm wondering if this is because I may have to many corals and they're using it all up faster than I can replace it. This just started to happen in the last month of so. I do have alot of lps corals in the tank now.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Same problem here. I have my Ca @ 440 ppm but my alk drops to 6-7 DKH. I'm using a double dose of C-Balance daily (2-part) & dripping with 2-tspn per gallon of kalkwasser all day long. According to Ron Smiek's article on chemistry, DKH between 7-11 is within range but I would like it to stabilize at 9-10 DKH.
I'm hesitant to fix it with a 1-part alkalinity builder/booster, could be asking for more trouble. But if your alkalinity is that low (4-6), I would try a 1-part such as Seachem's Reef Builder but only after determining that a few 20% water changes do not correct the levels in itself. HTH

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
If your bio-load is depleting the ALK, then Ca should be decreasing in a similar manner.

However, if just ALK is decreasing, then I would check your Mg levels. Magnesium is tightly linked to ALK/Ca/pH stability. Different salts have very different buffering capabilities, leading to problems such as these (Crystal sea being a great example).

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I've read Randy articles, and go back to them when ever I have questions. I think at this point I'm going to add Baking Soda and slowly raise the Alk up. I didn't have any problems, with Alk, until about a month ago and the only thing different is that I've added a # of corals.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Sollby,

So true - I have been stingy with my Magnesium over the past few months and have been dosing the hell out of B-ionic - costing me a small fortune -

I have been testing my water every night for a couple of months now and have been losing 1-2 full points on the ALK - I prefer to keep mine at 8 -

Last eve, I dosed some magnesium and did so as well again this morning - ironically enough I came home tonight and tested again, tested at 50 which is exactly 8 on the ALK range .

Since I have alot of SPS now (Jackson, this is all your fault) I am going to do this regularly -

So, now I need an damn madnesium test kit from salifert :-(

House

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
House,
I regularly test Mg levels (once every two weeks) and find that it is key in keeping everything stable, i.e. pH and ALK. Low Mg levels will cause large pH swings (especially when using a Ca reactor) and ALK to drop.

It is probably the most overlooked component in the pH/ALK/Ca equation. Interestingly, it is lacking in a lot of the different salts that are available. EDTA, which is added as a preservative in different salt mixes chelates Mg, i.e. binds and renders it unavailable for enzymatic reactions (this is how the salt is "preserved"), further limiting the amount of Mg present in our tanks.

Additionally, no one really knows the amount of Mg used during coral growth, but it is involved in all living enzymatic reactions as a co-factor. I am sure that it is used by corals to grow, further limiting its presence in our captive reef environment.

Anyway, sorry for the draw out hot air which you probably already know. Now that you have all these SPS, how about sharing the wealth, ;) . As a trade, I test your Mg levels for frags!!! save you the test kit purchase

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
House,

Hehe

Shaun,
What do you use for a MG supplement? I also test regularly and have been adding 90ml of b-ionic MG every 4 days to maintain 1250-1300ppm. I have heard that you can put dolomite in the reactor to maintain MG levels but I don't know how much to use, or if it will work etc.. What do you think?

Rich

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Great find guys. I will need to test my magnesium levels just like you indicated. I had to stop dripping satuarated kalkwasser due to my PH peaking @ 8.6 at the end of the MH lighting cycle. The swing is tremendous, from 8.6 down to 8.1 in the morning. I was sweetening with kalk to supplement my Ca & to try to keep the PH from falling too much & also hoping that it would keep the alkalinity levels in check but the rise in PH is just too great.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Rich,
I use epson salts that you buy in any pharmacy (make sure they are USP (for human consumption)). I make a concentrated solution with RO/DI water (approx. 1 gallon water and half the gallon box of epson salts (it takes a little while to completely dissolve)) and add a little at a time using a test kit to make sure the right level is optained. This concentrated Mg solution should last for a long time.

Additionally, by using a good salt mix that has the right concentrations (Bio-sea marine mix) you will never have to add Mg, since it will be re-supplied with water changes.

pecan2phat - your problem may be Mg related. Large pH swings to the upside like that are the tell-tale sign of limited Mg. But, you may also be dripping too much Kalk too fast. Vinegar in the Kalk mix can help to bring the pH down.

ALL - once you get your Mg back to natural seawater (if it is indeed limited) be careful with adding ALK supplements. A LITTLE WILL GO A LONG WAY. Adding a little at a time will not cause an upward pH spike. Remember, you just re-buffered your tank!!!
Shaun.

[ September 14, 2004, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: solbby ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: