nilo

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
does anyone know if these really kill sps? and do you really need to treat if you suspect you have them? i think i saw some of them but i'm hesitant to start any treatment for 2 reasons: 1. i have a mandarin and i don't want to nuke all my pods 2. i don't know how to get the interceptor treatment locally. any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

nilo

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I suggest getting as many peoples advice as possible, using their experiences as a guide.

While there is much debate over the topic (check out RC for threads that are HUGE and HEATED!!) I personally believe that red bugs do kill SPS. This occurs in a slow, starvation like way, by the red bugs irritating the SPS's tissue and prevent their polyps to fully extend. With the lack of polyp extention the SPS is unable to uptake nutients by capturing food or through any other nutient uptake that may occur. This in turn slows their growth leading to loss of color and general health.

If you care about your SPS's long term survival I would treat with interceptor. Remember it kill all crabs (remove all hermits before treatment). Additionally, its like VD, you really shouldn't be spreading them around if a good treatment exists, ;) :eek: .

Interceptor can be gotten by an Aussie company that mails it to the USA with no questions asked (www.hoof-and-hound.com). Make sure you do your homework, because if you decide to treat, the correct dosage is VERY important.

Your mandarin should be OK if you follow Dustin's recommended treatment because only certain pods with die.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: