N

nuport

Hi,
I am just beginning to get into this great hobby and have been reading books. If possible I would like to find one or two local fish stores where I can go to get everything and get to know the people well. I live in Riverdale, which is just by Yonkers. Please let me know if there are any good stores around me. I am planning on starting a reef setup in a month or two.
Thanks
Ed

J

june

downtown manhattan 38st between 3rd n 2nd ave "new world aquarium", but they're pretty expensive, and theres also "FishtownUSA" which is in queens, in northern blvd they're very cheap just a long ride 2 get there. and new jersey in "absolutly fish"

J

june

n theres always PETLAND.... :eek:
banghead.gif

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
If you take a ride up to Elmsford there is a place called Jawz. Stop in and take a look around.Good fish and some nice coral.Ask for Louie he will not give you bad advice.Dont be afraid to bargin with him also.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Mike,

No, Louie had JawsnetII in Sleepy Hollow. I don't believe he was at the store next to the post office.

He has good stuff - and I don't believe there is a good LFS in the bronx. Most of the guyz in the bronx travel like the rest of us to find good stores. There is also NY Aquaria (Sal) in Mamroneck just off rt 95 north.

Hope that helps and welcome to MR.com

House

N

nuport

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm going to start visiting these stores shortly =)

Melt

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
and please don't go to New world.I started out there when it was on 8 street in the city and i get rip or rape for my money...if you're looking for a tank or stand try a big store ..i got mines from a guy i think he's on 40 st... I got an oceanic 120 and only paid $460 for the tank only..if you need live rock and stuff it's better to mail order or wait for someone that is leaving the hobbie or moving....and finially if you need corals just ask on the board and people will be happy to help you..

welcome to the wonderful life of reefing

N

nuport

Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
yup that's the place... I was there maybe 6-7 years ago when I had fw fish. Haven't been back there since and was curious about their saltwater stuff.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
nuport, if you come to bklyn, there are a couple of stores also (Fish Expo, Brooklyn Zoo, World Class) but know your stuff before you go, i wouldnt take advice from someone who's trying to sell you something - anything.

p.s. if you need a tank, i have a 72gal bowfront i'm selling with the stand - all in perfect condition.

NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ed
if youre looking to fin a store where you can develope a rapport with the people that work there, go to House of Fins in Greenwhich or Reef Encounter in Little Ferry/Hackensack. Its about 7 minutes over the bridge.
There are cheaper stores than House of Fins, but for my money, they have the most experience. and despite what some people say or think, they are not snotty. they are personable and are willing to help and answer questions. If you know what to ask.
dont go in ignorant and expect a course.

Reef Encounter is not strong on reef tanks but a couple of the people there have good experience in the hobby and the owner has been in it for almost three decades.
plus they have some great prices on dry goods.

if youre seeking knowledge, the cheap place wont help you usually.
quality before quantity helps your chances of success.
good luck
Frank
ps, on your way to HOF, stop by NY Aquaria.

I

imported_blaze43

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont go to that warehouse, i made that mistake before, if you would drive there then go 5 min down the road to seatopia it's like night and day, the difference, just look at the website www.seatopiaaquatics.com

N

nuport

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the help guys
oh and alrha, thanks for the offer, but I won't be able to start a tank for at least 2 more months. My house is currently being sold. Right now I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: