marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It really depends on what type of corals you have. For LPS and softies you don't need a lot of flow as some of your corals mayn't open from the excess flow. People that use alot of flow are doing so that no waste accumlates on the bottom of the tank and some corals, like sps, like the flow. Also if you have a sand bed you need to take into account that excess flow may cause problems in your tank.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
marrone said:
It really depends on what type of corals you have. For LPS and softies you don't need a lot of flow as some of your corals mayn't open from the excess flow. People that use alot of flow are doing so that no waste accumlates on the bottom of the tank and some corals, like sps, like the flow. Also if you have a sand bed you need to take into account that excess flow may cause problems in your tank.

Yep that pretty much covers it :)

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
right, it depends what your keeping.

first - what size tank are you setting up?

second - what do you want to put in the tank?

third - then we can tell you how much flow will be appropriate.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
well then I would start with 700 to 1000 gallons/hour turnover.

you could do a closed loop with some small pumps and a couple of squids,

or just have some power heads in the tank.

you could also handle that with just the return pump and split the return so one is on each side of the tank. a pump in the 1200 gph range would do this well. have two one inch returns in each corner of the tank. you would need a good sized overflow for this, so that might not work for you. depends on how the tank is built.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Inkblue: I have a 65g mostly LPS and zoa reef. My return pump is a Mag 7 piped through a SCWD at nearly 4' headloss (~450gph) and 2 Seio 820s (1640gph). There's a small video in my tank thread showing ~2000gph.

Dean

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I have a Seio 640, a Aqua Clear 302 or 402, don't remember which, with a FLO Roating Water Deflector, and the return from my Remora skimmer, maxi-jet 1200. I have a Quite One pump 800 which does 220gph as my return from the sump. Some of these pumps are not turned all the way up so my flow in the tank is alot less than most people and everything is working fine.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: