Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 01:10 AM
Pretzel in Orange M&M
Reefer Ratings: (23 (100%)
Friends: (36)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator View Post
This needs a serious bump... I have read it before and ignored it. please don't. An MR member was taken to the ER late last night with palytoxin poisoning with symptoms similar to the OP on this post but worse.. thankfully they were released from the hospital tonight. 2 other people also experienced more mild symptoms from being in the same room, which had to do with fragging zoas. There will be more info available in the future about this particular indicent but for now , Please don't think this can't happen to you... even if you are like me and have been doing it for a long time with no problems.

James,
My brother told me about this earlier today, I hope everything is ok with these members. You are correct, sometimes we forget what we have in our tanks can kill us. Lets keep new and old reefers alike aware of the possible dangers when protection is not used. lets remember those gloves, facemasks and goggles people.
CAPT. NEMO

CLAMS KILL.........

https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...-want-cry.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny718 View Post
I happen to be a manager for Petco so hold on let me ask myself......

Not true
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Reefer Ratings: (6 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
Any update on the situation?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Zen-Reefer
Events Guy:  - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (46 (100%)
Friends: (65)
Send a Private Message
yes, there will be an article detailing exactly what happened and simple steps to avoid it in the next issue of reefs magazine.

as for the main party involved, he is fine. was released from the hospital the next day and felt 100%. the other 2 people (1 of which was me.. DOH) who were affected had lingering chest cold like symptoms for a couple of days but were in much better shape throughout the ordeal. It was insanely scary though while it was happening and he was sitting with the IV in and a 104 fever and no "cure."
Old 01-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Reefer Ratings: (6 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Thanks for the info.

I'm glad to hear everyone is doing ok.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Reefer Ratings: (16 (100%)
Send a Private Message
I popped a zoa one time by mistake and it hit my eye and burned for 2 days solid
Old 01-24-2011, 01:24 PM
GOLFER WANNABE
Reefer Ratings: (123 (100%)
Friends: (81)
Send a Private Message
hey james,
glad to hear you're ok and everything worked out for the others as well.
lesson learned from a friend fragging zoa's with a cut on his hand. half an hour later his hand was swollen like a baseball mit. the er doctor had no idea what to do....just gave him antihistamine iv and prescribed an epi pen just in case. luckily it resolved itself in a few days. now i wear gloves, goggle, and mask whenever i frag zoa's/paly's.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
When I first got a magnifica anemone, I was holding it down for a few minutes, so it can walk on its own, and it stung me. I had a swollen thumb for a week.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Zen-Reefer
Events Guy:  - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (46 (100%)
Friends: (65)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtoothdoc View Post
hey james,
glad to hear you're ok and everything worked out for the others as well.
lesson learned from a friend fragging zoa's with a cut on his hand. half an hour later his hand was swollen like a baseball mit. the er doctor had no idea what to do....just gave him antihistamine iv and prescribed an epi pen just in case. luckily it resolved itself in a few days. now i wear gloves, goggle, and mask whenever i frag zoa's/paly's.
+1 on this. ER with 104 is not fun. I have gloves and a full surgical mask as well now. Nothing to joke about. It is easy to slack off but you get a squirt of palytoxin it can kill you and there is not much you can do after the fact.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 PM
young grasshopper reefer
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
thanks for the info, ill make sure to feed some to the in laws lol j/k, i would never harm my zoas
Old 09-21-2011, 12:09 AM
jessicasy
Send a Private Message
thanks for the information...it is well explained and educative,many will learn about these things.!

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/general-discussion/55074-reef-keeping-precautions.html
Posted By For Type Date
General Discussion - Manhattan Reefs This thread Refback 09-12-2011 01:44 PM
potentially embarassing question! - Nano-Reef.com Forums This thread Refback 05-10-2011 10:35 PM
potentially embarassing question! - Nano-Reef.com Forums This thread Refback 03-28-2011 01:15 PM
potentially embarassing question! - Nano-Reef.com Forums This thread Refback 03-28-2011 12:49 PM
potentially embarassing question! - Nano-Reef.com Forums This thread Refback 03-28-2011 12:48 PM
potentially embarassing question! - Nano-Reef.com Forums This thread Refback 03-28-2011 12:42 PM
potentially embarassing question! - Nano-Reef.com Forums This thread Refback 03-28-2011 12:20 PM