Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I've read about that lighting fixture before- needs a lot of modification to make it bearable- the fans are noisy and tend to break, the legs aren't that sturdy, etc... but it is cheap!

I'm really thinking of biting the bullet and modifying my 20" ORbit PC fixture with a 70w MH retro kit (wish they made one stock) If I plan on doing this, how long can I allow my tank to go without lights while I get this up and running?

btw- if I were to get a 24" Orbit MH system for my 16 g do you guys think 150w MH lighting + the PCs will simply be way too much heat and/or light for my LPS and softies? thanks! (and sorry for the temp. hijack ink!) :)

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
i tried posting this yesterday, a portion on thread i linked from RC, but i left the quite from the thread out ( i was soooo tired)

here it is

i found this post on page 19...

You need a number of T5's to get the combination of lighting to get the color you want AND we dont friggin know how powerful the things are. I think me and Odi-Dad were the first to throw a PAR meter under the things and I was the first, and as far as I know, the only one to measure PAR on T5 vs. halides on the same tank. At this point I assume overdriven T5s are equal to good 250 watt halides.

my eyes hurt...

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
joseney21 said:
You need a number of T5's to get the combination of lighting to get the color you want AND we dont friggin know how powerful the things are. I think me and Odi-Dad were the first to throw a PAR meter under the things and I was the first, and as far as I know, the only one to measure PAR on T5 vs. halides on the same tank. At this point I assume overdriven T5s are equal to good 250 watt halides.

my eyes hurt...

I don't know what he means but I don't think the PAR on a bank of T5's can be more intense than a single 250 MH at a single point under the lights. The physics don't work, unless he is measureing a point outside of the MH coverage. Can you link the page? I can't find the same text in that thread.

inkblue, no need to get T5's or MH for macro algae growing, regular Home Depot outdoor lighting will do :lol:. You can stick with PC's if you are not planning a SPS dominated tank, otherwise 250W MH's have the most potential for monies spend. And you'll recoup the most money with these when you change hobby.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
inkblue said:
...but my question is, with MH, do i still need actinics? ...or will MH alone be ok? coz, why do some fixtures come with both and some not :thanks:

You need to check out this site:
http://www.cnidarianreef.com
This page in perticular:
http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

IMO, it is all personal preference how blue you like your tank. I run two XM 10K bulbs without actinic for about 6 hours, the actinics are on a few hours before and after the MH with only 15min overlap with MH.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: