jdepp

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am gonna be useint pvc inside as i want to pump h20 from the bottom of the tank facing up and from the top so i'll plumb the whole thing in and then zip tie rocks to it, i think it is a great idea then you dont have to buy base rock or even live rock to hold every think up it is also lighter for the tank and stand and you could have nice caves for fish and for better water circulation, this should also help keep detrious off the bottom. i was thinking of going bare bottom with a fuge(real deep sand bed) and skimmer

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Jdepp, you should reconsider going with a DSB fuge in your BB system, it kind of defeats the purpose of going bare bottom in the first place i.e. not to store nutrients in your system

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Justin, look at the skimmer cup pics on the BB guys at reef central. They have huge skimmer which really don't pull out much because they don't have a bunch of decomposing matter in their sand bed. My skimmer cup always smells like crap and I hardly feed my reef, not to mention that I do 30 percent water changes weekly and change my carbon every week. Basically, I am fighting the wastes that my sand bed leeches back into my system. I will definitely be going BB on my upgrade.
BTW I don't use PVC for my scape. I used large pieces of tonga branch as a supporting structure.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
i dont use PVC either, just play around with the rocks till i get a structure i like (this does take a lot of trial and error).
I believe in moderation, i dont use a DEEP DEEP sand bed, but i do have a regular sand bed which provides pretty much the same benefits of LR. as long as you have tons of cerith snails and sand bed fauna to keep it mixed up, it should likely be fine, IMO.
Jackson, your skimmer is pulling out more b/c your sand is producing plankton which your corals love. if it wasnt skimmed out, the corals would eat it. if you didnt have the sand bed, where would those nutrients go? the sand bed cant CREATE nutrients, it just processes it.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Albert, I think the skimmer is removing a lot more than just plankton. In fact, I tested some skimmated mixed with tank water and the PO4 and NO3 were off the charts. By not having a sand be the nutrients have no where to go except in your skimmer and dilouted by water changes. I feel that removing some plankton is a small price to pay for pristene water conditions.

Take a look at the thread from bomber (reefcentral) on his BB setup. Very good info there.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Whoa, Whao, DSB being bad? - that's not even close to being true - if done right, the DSB is beneficial to the system and should not leech bad nutirents into the system - again, if done right.

This months edition of Aquarium Fish Magazine has an article the shows that some people (namely me) are using a combination of the Jaubert, DSB and Berlin systems. I think this is on of the best ways to have your system running (knowing full well that every reefer has their preference - the DSB is obvious, the Jaubert System is a plenum covered with crushed coral and the Berlin system is a oversized skimmer and intense lighting). If I were to do it differently, I would include the little hose in the plenum to remove the water once in awhile - this is also, something the Jaubert system users have been doing recently to have it last longer without having to change the bed.

Additionally, there are many many people who have DSB's running for years (not 2 or 3).

Bottom line, there doesn't seem to be one scientific (empirically proven) way to set-up your reef. If you have a thriving environment, don't question it - and let it be - sit back and enjoy.

My .02

Jim

tstone

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by House of Laughter:
bottom line, there doesn't seem to be one scientific (empirically proven) way to set-up your reef. If you have a thriving environment, don't question it - and let it be - sit back and enjoy.

My .02

Jim
Now your talkin Jim!

In answer to the original question. Use acrylic rod and drill holes in your rock. Use the acrylic rod as pins to hold it all together. If need be use some super glue to hold it.

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hay Justin some people use different size PVC to raise the rock work a bit higher(but not much)from the tank bottom. Think of it as standing the PVC on end and placing the rock on top. if you drill some small holes in the pvc it would become a pod hang out or a fish deli(how ever u want to look at it) Also some folks use the aqua stick epoxy. How ever if your looking to do arches or more elaberate stuff with bigger pieces of rock I would go with the twist ties or drilling and bolting.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: