waltercat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I come home today to find that my tank has a leak in it. It isn't anything big (yet) but I do need to change my tank out sooner than later. I can't identify where exactly this is happening but I know it is someplace on the bottom seam because the black molding on the bottom is filled with water.

THe last few days I noticed that the water level was decreasing a little more rapid than usual but I figured it might be drier.

Tonite I found about 1-2 cups of water on the floor.

I was going to wait until Saturday to do this. I was going to work from home tomorrow so I can be around in case anything bad happens.

Does anyone know if this is something that could turn really bad really quickly or is it something i have a window of time to fix.

Also, I just had shoulder surgery so I can't use my arm to lift anything. I'm going to need a couple of people to help move the old tank out and the new tank in. Anyone free on Saturday to drop by and help move the tank. I can do the rest myself, just need some help moving. I live in Park Slope.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The water in the lower black trim does not mean that the leak starts there. Water has a tendency to flow downhill ;) So any leak on your tank is going to end up in the lower plastic trim.

Can it go from minor to catastrophic quickly? I'm guessing this is a rhetorical question. You're darn straight it can go to catastrophic in a heartbeat.

As da frogman said, "I'd replace it ASAP!!!!". Without a doubt.

swimmer

ZBT3091

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tanks have alot of things in it that are very heavy. Live Rock and sand plus water is a lot of weight and a small seam could get much worse. If theres water coming from a leak on the bottom of the tank it could be a matter of seconds before everything gets dumped on the floor. I would also be concerned with electricity + water.

waltercat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
well I guess I'll do the switch out tomorrow first thing. I kinda need a new tank to do it. I'd put everything in buckets over night, but I think the stress on the corals and fish would be worse.

I am going to get new sand for the new tank and just add some of my current sand on top of it.

Also I have a 33L so I'll probably upgrade to a 55 just so I can get something positive out of it. :) Besides my corals are getting too tall for a 33L and T5s are too powerful for such a low tank.

If anyone can be on call tomorrow for a quick tank move, let me know with a PM.

Last edited:

NIGHTCRAWLER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
i just had that happen to me during the fall. 75 gal started a tiny leak near the top. so i drained out some water and sealed it. the next day the whole back seperated from the side, and had a huge flood, caught it just as i was getting home. so was able too save all the fish and corals. good thing i had a 225 gal i was getting ready too set up. but i would get another tank set up right away.

fallenlordz

Cant hear you under Water
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
i just had that happen to me during the fall. 75 gal started a tiny leak near the top. so i drained out some water and sealed it. the next day the whole back seperated from the side, and had a huge flood, caught it just as i was getting home. so was able too save all the fish and corals. good thing i had a 225 gal i was getting ready too set up. but i would get another tank set up right away.

Whoa - thats scary, hope that never happens to me. Nice to have a spare tank that you were setting up.:wink1:

waltercat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I don't think it was a tank leank. I think some water got diverted from a baffle cover I had over my HOB skimmer. I turned off my skimmer last night before I went to bed. It came to me in a dream last night that it was equipment and not the tank, so I got up at 4am and poked around. Noticed not more water was coming out. checked again this morning and saw nothing. At work now, so I hope I don't go back to a flooded apt.

Sad thing is I was looking forward to upgrading to a 55G.

waltercat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well turns out I did have a tank leak. I kept seeing salt creep coming up from the bottom corner of my tank. Every day I'd wipe it away and withing a half day it would be back. So... this weekend I changed it out. And now I have a 55G! Here's a few pics from my blog post about it. I kept the fish and corals in a container over night while the dust settled in the new tank. It worked out great, everyone was happy and healthy. A successful move!

fish-coral-holding-tank.jpg

55-gallon-tank-2.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: