B

BrianG

I recently moved to the white plains area from out of state. I finally got better lighting for my fish only with LR 46 bow aquarium. Now have VHO lighting (2 95W bulbs) and am interested in getting into corals. I have no experience with corals(or NYC!) so far. Is there anyone selling frags in the westchester area. Any advice on what is good to start with? I only have 5 small fish in my tank and the ammonia is undetectable all other levels are fine.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Brian,

Your best bet is to start with some zoanthid polyps, green star polyps, mushrooms, and leather coral. You can get a nice piece from a local store or another reefer for $40-80 depending on what it is.

Those are the easiest to keep. If you don't kill those, then try an LPS like a hammer coral or frogspawn. Stay away from SPS type coral until you have a bit of experience and don't mind paying more money.

There should be lots of frags at the frag swap on Saturday at 2:00.

Good luck.

-Josh

B

BrianG

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Thanks for the info Josh. I don't have any specific plans for what corals I want to start with but I know i'm not interested in SPS for now. I wish I could come to the swap tomorrow but i'm out of town for the weekend. I'm curious if there is anyone in the westchester area who sells frags. I'll probably start with leather coral for now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: