beyondnp

BeyondNP
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is one more accurate than the other?
Is the salinity monitor easier to use or maintain, or simply a tool of the past?

Advice is sincerely appreciated as my hydrometer doesnt offer much value.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I have both and I tend to use the refracto most of the time. I bought the PP salinity monitor as a new toy, but found out it was not really designed to be for continous use. You can do it though if you purchase the ac adapter or the 9-volt would be wiped in about 2 days of continous use. It also has a very short lead on the probe wire but I've seen some reefers mount it under the cabinet with the probe in the sump. They just use the 9-volt and turn it on for a reading, then turn it off.
The monitors also read in mS, so you need to keep the conversion chart handy unless you have an Einstein brain.
I was told that the monitor measures more accurately then a refracto due to the average hobbiest not calibrating their refractos with a known value (besides 0 for distilled water) on a frequent basis. He did say that refractos are very good if calibrated correctly though.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
i have a PP salinity monitor as well, but they can get to me a pain as it picks up interference quite easily and throws off the reading. to use it properly, i actually have to take it out of the sump and place it on a table and test a sample in a cup to get an accruate reading. i just use a hydrometer instead most of the time - just to make sure the salinity didnt change.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I went through this whole issue that Albert is talking about. I've sent mine back to PP for an update on the electronics, but there is still interference. I spoke to the owner of PP and it all goes back to the unit not being designed for continous monitoring.
After an hour on the phone & trying 9-volts vs power pack, powerpack in wall outlet vs extension, regrounding reflectors, we came to the conclusion that it was my hamilton ballast.

So the $114 dollar toy sits in the draw.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
at least i'm not the only one

beyondnp

BeyondNP
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well, I ended up getting the monitor... and I am ok with not constantly using it, just need it to give an accurate reading when I do my water changes or maintenance...

Turns out my hydrometer wasnt all that far off, so there goes another hundred bucks into the money pit! In all seriousness, I am glad I bought it... peace of mind is worth it!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: