Iammatt219

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno if that would work... which beckett do youu have as some beckets have larger intsakes then others, but my understanding is the limiting factor of a becket is the size of the holes on the beckett assembly itself. I think KZ came out with a modified beckett assembly, but am not sure if it is the same size as the ones most american manufacturers use

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Well, if you drill it, put a valve on it, so worse case scenario if you do not get any better results you can always close the added hole/valve.

I would imagine with the extra air intake you will also need to increase the water flow rate through the injector.

Which in turn may make the body height too short with the extra foam being created.

In theory that is.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I dunno if that would work... which beckett do youu have as some beckets have larger intsakes then others, but my understanding is the limiting factor of a becket is the size of the holes on the beckett assembly itself. I think KZ came out with a modified beckett assembly, but am not sure if it is the same size as the ones most american manufacturers use

I have a 2 beckett mrc2 skimmer it has worked great for me throughout mytrip from 125 to 180 to 300 gallons.. I have a dart pushing the skimmer now and it handles it with no problem.. I use to have a coralife 1100 gph pushing it.. I always felt like this skimmer could probably handle any pump I threw at it.. Now I'm wondering if it might need more air going through it.. The intakes are 1/2in holes that I have taken the valve off when I switched to a dart to run it..

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Well, if you drill it, put a valve on it, so worse case scenario if you do not get any better results you can always close the added hole/valve.

I would imagine with the extra air intake you will also need to increase the water flow rate through the injector.

Which in turn may make the body height too short with the extra foam being created.

In theory that is.

I believe they make an extension for this skimmer, as far as valves for the intakes I can use the old ones that I took off when I started using a dart to run it.. But still it's only 2 becketts that are 1in each..

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I have the same skimmer MRC-2 w/two becketts....it worked like crap when I first got it , but I modded mine by drilling the holes in the becketts larger and put extenion tubes on the them to increase contact time....it's like a different skimmer now.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I have the same skimmer MRC-2 w/two becketts....it worked like crap when I first got it , but I modded mine by drilling the holes in the becketts larger and put extenion tubes on the them to increase contact time....it's like a different skimmer now.

Hey tobin I did the same with my MRC and it worked much better after the modification. You're more than welcome to come and take a look. I can also show you how to make the extension for the beckett. By the way MRC does make an extension which can make the MR2 rated for more water volume.

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have a 2 beckett mrc2 skimmer it has worked great for me throughout mytrip from 125 to 180 to 300 gallons.. I have a dart pushing the skimmer now and it handles it with no problem.. I use to have a coralife 1100 gph pushing it.. I always felt like this skimmer could probably handle any pump I threw at it.. Now I'm wondering if it might need more air going through it.. The intakes are 1/2in holes that I have taken the valve off when I switched to a dart to run it..

If possible, I would first switch out to a pressure rated pump. A pump such as the dart is not designed for back pressure and it will drastically decrease the amount of water actually flowing through the injector.

If possible, I would go with one of the pressure rate Iwakis, Pan World PS, series, or if you want to go nuts, a Reeflo Uno series.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Alex... you around this evening give me a call..
Dom... I'll give him a call..
Mikeyny... love to see a pic and do you have to make the becketts taller when you drill the hole??
Leo...I went with the darty because I can hardly here my tv in my living room now.. The dart was the quietest pump I've ever used.. What is the quietest pressure rated pump..

Last edited:

Iammatt219

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before you drill new holes in the beckett housing look on Rc for the mod that can be done to the beckett itself.

As for a quite pressure rated pump, I am now using a reeflo marlin on my barr 4200, and it is actually a little quieter than my reeflo barracuda, but as I have never used a dart I cannot say how the sound is in comparison.

On a side note i should have just upgraded my mrc as the air intakes on the mrc is designed better than the barr, and the new owners of mrc are very helpful whereas barr sold to austin oceans and they are no longer in business.

HTh

MAtt

Last edited:

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
before you drill new holes in the beckett housing look on Rc for the mod that can be done to the beckett itself.

As for a quite pressure rated pump, I am now using a reeflo marlin on my barr 4200, and it is actually a little quieter than my reeflo barracuda, but as I have never used a dart I cannot say how the sound is in comparison.

On a side note i should have just upgraded my mrc as the air intakes on the mrc is designed better than the barr, and the new owners of mrc are very helpful whereas barr sold to austin oceans and they are no longer in business.

HTh

MAtt

Matt.....I am glad I got the MRC instead of the Austin Oceans......(Not that I could even get in contact with Austin Oceans to buy one...lol). Okay now lets get back to thread issue at hand....:splitspin

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I've just seen the new beckett line up in terms of the way it should be set up for the upgrade.. I'l be doing some reearch over the next 12hrs as I have to have the 2 tanks connected for the upgrade because of a new hybrid fish that is living in the 300 with nothing but a oxydator and a powerhead for a couple days now..

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
MRC skimmer mod, becketts,U mod, and extension..

Did a quick search and found these 2 pictures worth a 1000 words.. One has 1 beckett and the guy say's "wow".. The other has 2 becketts like mine, he made the becketts taller also.. Notice how the first has regular size becketts... I wonder if the power went out, was it overflowing through the becketts being that it's so low?? Probably... So I'll be doing the 2 beckett picture mod, they both also added 2 elbows inside the box where the water comes out of the becketts and just goes down all in the box close to the drain.. The 2 elbows making a u shape makes it so that the bubbles go straight into the skimmer body, great idea I'll be doing this too..
Hey thanks Alex for showing me the modded becketts in real life, helped a lot.. Opened my eyes to all the possibilities for this skimmer without even changing the pump,,, yet.. I will be looking into a pressure rated pump as Leo informed me about..

I also think that having more than 1 hole on each beckett will quiet down the suction being that I'm not using the valves so that I get more air injection,, so I've decided to drill 1 extra hole in each beckett..
So Kathy the taller ones are the modded mrcskimmers and the top view is my unmodded skimmer..

Attachments

• modded single.jpg
    modded single.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 84
  • modded Mrc skimmer.jpg
    modded Mrc skimmer.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 81
  • myskimmer.jpg
    myskimmer.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 82
  • top my.jpg
    top my.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 79
  • valves.jpg
    valves.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 82

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Some pictures before mod of water going into the skimmer box instead of up into the skimmer body.. The gate valve is all the way open to get these shots..

Attachments

• IMG_8325.JPG
    IMG_8325.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_8326.JPG
    IMG_8326.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8327.JPG
    IMG_8327.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8328.JPG
    IMG_8328.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 79

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Alex... you around this evening give me a call..
Dom... I'll give him a call..
Mikeyny... love to see a pic and do you have to make the becketts taller when you drill the hole??
Leo...I went with the darty because I can hardly here my tv in my living room now.. The dart was the quietest pump I've ever used.. What is the quietest pressure rated pump..

All Reeflo Pumps are considered to be the most quiet in the industry. As far as which pump, it depends on what you output requirements are.

The other thing I noticed, is the way you have the becketts plumbed together like that, it does not allow you to balance the pressure between the two injectors. I would recommend putting them both on a manifold with a ball valve before each beckett so that you can balance the water flow between the two.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: