N

NYC OZ

It appears that I have a case of Ick in my tank. My newly aquired rock beauty and my 2 year old mandarin seem to be getting a white fuzz on them(my clown is fine). How can I rid this without hurting my Gonipora?

TIA

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The best thing if possible would be to get them out of the tank and treat that in a seperate tank. You also need to figure out what the fish has before starting treatment. Do a search on RC and you'll find alot of posts.

Here is a good web site
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

Also do a search on RC for user:ATJ he has alot of information of diesases and how to cure them.

If you can't get the fish out I would try and mix in garlic with their food that your feeding them.

Michael

N

NYC OZ

Rating - 100%
310   0   0
It looks like cotton on the Rock Beauty and almost like blisters on the Mandarin. I fed garlic soaked Cyclopese and Brine shrimp last nite and tonight. I also found out that my UV sterilizer wasn't working. I fixed that last nite and it does not seem to be getting any worse. Thanks for the responses!! No QT , but after this I will be setting 1 up!!

Lana

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi,
I don't think it is Ick. Ick is a dot disease.
It could be Lymphocystis. This disease is not really treatable with medications but can be controlled, and virtually eradicated with good water quality and a good diet and happy environment for the fish.
However, it can be brooklynella. Brooklynella is normally associated with Clownfish but it is definitely contagious to other fish as well. You could have introduced it with your newly acquired rock beauty. If it is brooklynella, get formalin. You have to set up a hospital tank or you will need a dedicated container as well as a means of circulating the bath water. Formalin depletes oxygen, so you can't leave the fish in the bath without a pump. DO NOT TREAT THE FISH IN YOUR MAIN TANK!

Do a search and look for some pictures.

Lana

N

NYC OZ

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks to all for the replies. It appears after extensive research that I have a case of Lymphocystis. Started the water changes last nite . I figured I would do a 15% change every other day . Does this sound good?

Lana

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What are your water parameters, such as Ammonia, NitrItes, NitrAtes, Calcium, Alkalinity, PH, Specific gravity? What do you feed your fish?

[ December 01, 2004, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Lana ]

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Originally posted by NYC OZ:
Thanks to all for the replies. It appears after extensive research that I have a case of Lymphocystis. Started the water changes last nite . I figured I would do a 15% change every other day . Does this sound good?
I once read that 10% water change every day for 10 consecutive days will help in terms of water quality and dilution of total TDS.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: