Votes: 1 10.0%
  • ATI Bubble Master 250

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Guys/gals, I'd like to upgrade from my EuroReef RS 80. As most know I keep a heavily over stocked 155 gallon bow front mixed reef with lps, sps, leathers, shroom, palys, zoas, gorgies, clams, and others amongst tons of fish. Of which I feed quite heavily.
I am leaning towards an ATI Bubble Master. Do you think the 200 will do the job, or should I hold out for the 250? I want this to be the last skimmer I buy for this tank.

The euro will be moved to my fowlr. I love this skimmer, just worry that it isn't enough for my 155.;)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Just curious, have you looked at other skimmers like the vertex 200 or 250 cones.

Should have added that foot print is crucial as my stand is to short to accomodate most other skimmers, and hubby won't allow me to put my sump in the basement. Yet.:tongue1:
So the height of the bm is perfect.

RoyalAqua

Vendor
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
for the price you're paying for a used ATI, I would go with a brand new octopus extreme skimmer. it's practically the same skimmer being the octopus is a knockoff. you can save yourself some money.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
for the price you're paying for a used ATI, I would go with a brand new octopus extreme skimmer. it's practically the same skimmer being the octopus is a knockoff. you can save yourself some money.

I would agree, except that the height of the skimmer is a BIG concern. The octo 250 is 24.5", the 300 is 30". My stand is only 25" heigh.

darkdrako

Looks mean doesn't she!?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The Octopus Extreme 200 is only 22.75" high. I am actually having mine delivered today. I can let you know the exact operating height is in relation to the best water level if you would like.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
i had the same problem as you with my AGA tank. the standard stands are really short and makes skimmers choice difficult because i had a 15" tall sump.

I went with a ati bubble master 160 because of the small footprint and most importantly the collection cup clearance was only like one inch. most skimmers on the market right now need a couple of inches of clearance to remove the collection cup

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
vertex needs maybe a 1/2 to remove skimmer collection cup, awi the vertex in 180 should be more then enough skimmer, i have the same one and love it. quiet, low power usage 37w it's 24" tall 8" body on it 740 lpm i do believe

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Oh boy, I thought I had this narrowed down. Now I got to look at all these others, but more importantly get actual user input. I don't much trust manufactur recommendations. I'm looking to upgrade not stay within the same power. My euro reef rs 80 pulls quite a bit of crap, and I thought that the BM 250 would pull even more.;)
Currently I am not having any issues with algea or cyano, and everything is looking fine. But as a nervous reefer I keep thinking I should have a "Better" skimmer.:) And better light, better stand, better pumps, and the list goes on and on.LOL

Solace Aquatics LLC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Oh boy, I thought I had this narrowed down. Now I got to look at all these others, but more importantly get actual user input. I don't much trust manufactur recommendations. I'm looking to upgrade not stay within the same power. My euro reef rs 80 pulls quite a bit of crap, and I thought that the BM 250 would pull even more.;)
Currently I am not having any issues with algea or cyano, and everything is looking fine. But as a nervous reefer I keep thinking I should have a "Better" skimmer.:) And better light, better stand, better pumps, and the list goes on and on.LOL

How are the water parameterss? If they are stable, does it require an extraneous am mount of work to keep them stable?

If no, then I would say stick with the Euro Reef, why fix something that isn't broke? If it is pulling strong, I would stick with it.

Even though I am ATI dealer, they are notorious for needing constant "babying" even after you get them dialed in.

IMO, if you do decide to go with a new skimmer I would consider the Reef Octopus line and SWC (Salt Water Connection)

But I would recommend sticking with your current skimmer, sounds like it is doing its job. Times are tough no reason to spend money on something you may not need. If anything, give it a good cleaning and make sure the impeller and air volute are clean.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
How are the water parameterss? If they are stable, does it require an extraneous am mount of work to keep them stable?

If no, then I would say stick with the Euro Reef, why fix something that isn't broke? If it is pulling strong, I would stick with it.

Even though I am ATI dealer, they are notorious for needing constant "babying" even after you get them dialed in.

IMO, if you do decide to go with a new skimmer I would consider the Reef Octopus line and SWC (Salt Water Connection)

But I would recommend sticking with your current skimmer, sounds like it is doing its job. Times are tough no reason to spend money on something you may not need. If anything, give it a good cleaning and make sure the impeller and air volute are clean.

My thoughts exactly Leo, and after hearing Ken Feldman's talk at our swap and the updated talk at MACNA, I'm not sure there is a whole lot of difference in performance between most skimmers unless we begin to really compare apples and oranges like seaclones to downdrafts or something.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thank you Leo, Randy & sjsoto! I will more then likely stick with the euro! Water parameters are fine except for the mag which is still a little low at around 1200+. Especially since my darn furnace broke, and we may have to purchase another.;(
Gonna check the fowlr's par's just to see if the turboflotor can also stay.:)

Thank you all for your time, and advice!:grouphug:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: