Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok,ive been running my saltwater tank since september i have 2 clowns,4 damsels and a chocolate star fish when i do my water test they all come out fine. the problem is that when i place invertabrates in my tank they die im not sure what i need in my tank.im running my tank with a fluval 404 and a berlin airlift protein skimmer i have a few live rock not much,i just dont understand why my shrimp died when i placed it in my tank if i acclimated it properly,if anyone can help just holla at me,thanks

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
what is the
size of the tank
temp
ph
alk
calcium
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate

the fluval canister filter will be a nitrate factory.

well start from there.

also does anyone know, since the damsels are territorial could they have killed the shrimp? :banghead: :arg:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
what is the
size of the tank
temp 75-80
ph 8.0-8.2
alk not sure
calcium not sure
ammonia 0
nitrite good
nitrate good
and the damsels was not picking on them

the fluval canister filter will be a nitrate factory.

well start from there.

also does anyone know, since the damsels are territorial could they have killed the shrimp? :banghead: :arg:
temp 75-80
ph 8.0-8.2
alk not sure
calcium not sure
ammonia 0
nitrite good
nitrate good
and the damsels was not picking on them

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
How many shrimp died and where did you get them? Did you place anything else in at the same time? And is this a harlequin shrimp your talking about?

What do you mean by good for your nitrite and nitrate levels?

Harlequin shrimps (for example) don't do good with nitrates. They also eat starfish, thats why I'm wondering.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
thats why im confused. i figured that the ca and alk had nuttin to do with it just always a good thing to no. salinity was not stated.

what is good to you for nitrite and nitrate.

good
nitrite - 0ppm
nitrate - 10ppm preferably 0-5ppm

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
thats why im confused. i figured that the ca and alk had nuttin to do with it just always a good thing to no. salinity was not stated.

what is good to you for nitrite and nitrate.

good
nitrite - 0ppm
nitrate - 10ppm preferably 0-5ppm

This is not a reef tank so cal and alk don't have any effect on the shrimp and aren't needed. Nitrite should be zero if the tank have cycled already, which considering all the other live stock that he has it should be. So it left to figure out what his nitrates are. Since it's not a reef tank you don't need nitrates that low, 10ppm or less, for the fish or even the star fish but if the levels where high the shrimp probably couldn't take it or adjust to it like the fish have already. As for SG levels they're important as to much of a change and the shrimp could die from shock.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: