joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Hi, I bought a metal halide setup from a fellow reefer about 1 1/2 weeks ago, and since then i had been smelling a slight burning scent coming from the ballast :confused: . i did some research and found out that sometimes lights take time to break in and give off certain scents during this time :rolleyes: . i can't remember how old the light was so i wrote a pm to the original owner with regards to the smell(i do remember the light is quite new), no answer(it's pretty hard to get a hold of him, busy i guess).the light had been working fine up until today, when i tried turning it on only the fan in the ballast would go on and only for a few seconds at that :( .i opened up the ballast box and saw some stuff that looks like it had been melting over some of the internals, almost like toothpaste :eek: . there was also some hard brown stuff that looked like it had bonded (burned) to the copper coil in there, didn't really look like it belonged either :eek: . i would like to wait to see if this can be resolved in some way with the person that sold me the light before i go ahead and buy a new light(maybe a warranty when he bought the light) :( .until,if, i resolve this with the original owner i need lights for my aquarium-i'm asking if anyone has a spare set of lights laying around that i could borrow, or rent, please let me know,advise on the whole situation would also be greatly appreciated (you will be repayed tenfold when i start fragging :D , lol...).thanks for taking the time to read, wish me luck...

i guess i can put another point up in the experience column

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
just bought a new halide retro kit and extra ballast from oceanencounter.com. but they won't be open until the 15 and i probably won't get it until a few days after that...guess i'll have to deal with what i have, hope everything turns out o.k. thanks to everyone who thought of helping...

Missy Johnson

Masta of Disasta
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey Jose - we have 2 extra Smartlights out in storage in Secaucus NJ (right thru Lincoln Tunnel). I think only 2 of the 4 bulbs work (and they are old). They are 48" long. You are welcome to borrow them if you have a way to get out there....we would give you Eric's PCs but we just sold them yesterday :( Let me know - we don't want your tank to go 1-2 weeks without light!!! PM me...

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
thank you very much for your help and thoughtfulness, i should be receiving new lights at the end of the week. i'll have an extra 250w mh around after all is said and done, for just in case purposes or if anyone has the same problem i have in the future.

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Who is the maker of the ballast? If it is a PFO or a Sunlight Supply give me a call tomorrow. I may be able to help you get it fixed faster.

I wish I had more lights but I just finished selling all of them to Hitsnorth.

Either way I will contact you.

Kasei

Pseudo

OG Member
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
jose,

Yeah I still need it. I fell into an escalator hole and bruised my ribs at work. So I am laid up for a bit. I will come around soon though as I am tired of being home...

THanks

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Damn, that gotta hurt. Be careful dude and get well soon.

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
chris, hitsnorth, missy, astoria, bad coffee and everyone else who thought of helping or just took the time out to read this post- THANK YOU for your willingness to help. yesterday i borrowed a light from bad coffee, which should light up the tank nicely until i get the lights i ordered from ocean encounter.

Jose

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: