Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I filled up my 58 gal tank. RO water and added salt. I let the system circulated for the last 3 days to check plumbing. ?Now my water has become cloudy, kind of grey. Could it be the black cuttingboard or black silicone? I let the silicone dry for more then 24 hours...

Almost forgot... last night after the water turned on me, I added a Whisper Hang-on filled with carbon and I added the Phosban150 Cylinder filled with carbon to see if that helps

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rich

Last edited:

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yes, I did rinse the Carbon... almost got disowned for using my wifes strainer that she cooks with. So this little incident is forcing me to go out and buy one for tank purposes... hehe...

Thanks Jhale.. I will give it some time... I wont be getting rock for a couple weeks yet.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
while you are getting that strainer here's a list of other things to get for just the tank.

measuring cups
measuring spoons
funnel
towels!

don't worry about the water it will clear

FastUno

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
My water got cloudy for the first time in my reef experience when too much water was flowing through my home-made phosban reactor.

They warn you about this, but I as always do not listen.:D

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
No sand in the tank... just saltwater.

I used Instant Ocean.

The tank became cloudy before the carbon was added. I added the carbon after to try and cloear up the tank.

Rich

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
hmmm very wierd. i dont no wait it out. since you have no livestock or anything. if worse comes to worse keep doing partial water changes until its clear again. but dont do it right now. wait it out like i said. see if it clears up by itself.

ps. ur wife must of been pissed off about the strainer thing.

i did the same thing to my mom she was furious so i went out and bought her another one.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
i had the same problem, i just started my tank last week and the 20 few months ago, it happens because there isnt a large bacteria colonization. I listened to john and let me water sit for a few days and cleared right up

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I went and looked at my 100 micron filter bag, and this is what I found:

filterbag2.jpg

and another angle...

filterbag1.jpg

it is completely black... hrmmmm....

Rich

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think it might of been your carbon, it has a lot of residue, maybe you didnt take all of it out as you thought, that looks like my filter sock the time I forgot to rinse mine out

HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: