Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2005, 12:28 AM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEPWATER
I heard of this product and going to my LFS tomorrow mornign i remember the guy saying he has them instock ,thx for the reminder
You can always order online but obviously you need them quick right now but if you have a local petsmart they almost always have it in stock. The purigen will be with the freshwater carbon area generally. The cuprisorb will only be in a SW fishstore.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:05 AM
Professional Commuter
Reefer Ratings: (47 (100%)
Friends: (32)
Send a Private Message
I always wonder when I come across an incident regarding a small amount of rust resulting for either an impellar or the Mag screws that causes some fatalities in our tanks, because isn't Phosban & Rowaphos (ferric oxide hydroxide) a type of rust?

https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...ured-tank.html
Old 12-03-2005, 07:13 PM
DEEPWATER
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecan2phat
I always wonder when I come across an incident regarding a small amount of rust resulting for either an impellar or the Mag screws that causes some fatalities in our tanks, because isn't Phosban & Rowaphos (ferric oxide hydroxide) a type of rust?
Im sure its not the same type or rust thou.
for one rowa and phosban take out thing ,where the rust off your mag drive and now sen pump are letting out rust into your tank ,.In not a chemist or anything ,JMO
Old 12-04-2005, 02:29 AM
Reefer Ratings: (22 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
Ferric oxide hydroxide is not rust. But, it is a ferric molecule. Apparently it works to bind phosphate by staying in solution in ionic form (the oxide hydroxide part) to bind phosphate. The oxygen molecule rearranges its ionic bonds when it comes in contact to phosphate in order to bind it.

Rust IS another ferric molecule, but rust's chemical name Ferric oxide or Fe2O3.

That's about as much chemistry I can remember at 1:30am...
Old 10-26-2006, 10:20 AM
DEEPWATER
Send a Private Message
for jhale and leslie