aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I know there are a few zoo fanatics on this site so i was hoping to get some advice. my zoos were doing great, reproducing like crazy but slowly they started to deteriorate, loosing colour and not opening as much. I thought this was probably the light so i replaced my 175WMH but now they seem to be closed in a kind of wierd way - all their tentacles are withdrawn but the oral disc is still visible, this has happened to all my zoos. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?
Aaron

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
My zoos get "tempermental" just like that for a few days then reopen with a vengence. However, I have never had ALL my zoos do so at the same time, just a colony here and there. Since the discs are still visible, I'd guess it's the new bulb.

Dean

Barnacle_Blenny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Have you tested your water lately? What's your PH Amonia nitrite and nitrate level. Do you currently have a skimmer or a refugium? How high do you keep them. How long have you had your system up for. These questions will help determine if it's nothing to worry about or if it is.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If you notice that your losing zoo's then pecan2phat is probably right about the nudis, which can also cause them to close up.

What you may also want to do is take a turkey baster and blow water over the zoos. Some times they get sand or dirt in them and will close up until they get the dirty out.

Michael

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
All water parameters are fine, all other corals seem happy,
I have a skimmer running. Could it be fluctuating PH due to low water hardness? I'm not sure if this is actually a problem but i havent tested for it yet and i havent added any bufffer in a while.
I'll check for flatworms and nudis - I assume they're very small?
any other ideas?

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Are you using RO/DI water? Could you give more specifics regarding your tank, i.e. size, Ca reactor?, salt used, lighting, temp., additives used, etc.

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Other corals are devil hand, mushroom leather, various mushrooms and some kenya tree
Going down there with the fashlight now.
Aaron

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I had a look last night and found lots and lots of amphipods running all over them. There were also a couple of worms that appeared to be grazing on the aglea on the back glass. They were about an inch long and dark grey with one end kind of pink
Could these be responsible?
No Nudibranchs that i could see, and i dont have any angel fish, only a couple of clowns and a yellow tang

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Aaron
Here is a couple of web sites that have pictures of the zoo's eating Nubi. There are also zoo eating snails, sundials snails. Also do a search on RC and you'll find plenty of the nubi and snail eating zoos.

http://www.geocities.com/snoack321/Shots.html
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=7a65528b832541ef3bbf09e9ada00f34&threadid=494466

I still think you should take your turkey baster and blow water over the zoos. Sometimes they get dirt and sand in them and they close up for a while.

Michael

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: