inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
OK,
What is up with this lawn mower blenny of mine.
It was the most timid fish I had till I added the fairy wrasse.
Now it constantly picks at my 3 clams relentlessly, it gets along fine with the wrasse, but its causing havoc with my beauitful clams.
Whats weird is that it didn't use to pick at my clams.

Any ideas?
Time say good-bye to my blenny?

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Take out your Blenny. I would definately take clams over Blenny anyday. And I heard if the tank doesn't have alot of algae, they starve to death anyway. I don't think you have any algae problem already on your new tank, do you?

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Don't have a problem like that with mine....
Is he picking on the shell or the clam itself?

You can feed them seaweed algae sheets if there is no algae present.....although, I don't know if it has any nutritional value to them.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
sharn if I had to pick one fish I would not want to have to remove from a tank it would be a algae blenny.
I hope it stops nipping at the clams, good luck.

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
funny story- kinda on/off topic.

I had 3 clams, and one night i couldnt sleep so i got up and looked at my tank and my damn hermit had flipped them over and ate them. It was a sad sad day cause he was my favorite hermit, he was about the size of 2 pingpong balls. Had to get rid of him. :headache:

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Keeping my fingers crossed, as long as the lights are out the blenny stays asleep or resting. I see him trying to peck at the mantle and the shell.
This is really bad. All my clams are totally closed up now, before even when the lights were out they stayed somewhat open.

Will check in the morning.

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well, woke up this morning to all 3 clams fully opened.
Doesn't seem like any damage was done by the blenny, however I am concerned about the stress that may be induced on the clams.

Wish I could setup a web cam on my tank while I'm at work.

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well the blenny is still trying to bite the mantle of the clams.
I actually saw him going into the slight opening and trying to bite it.
This disqualifies it from being in my aquarium, now the trick is to catch him.
Not to worry Jon, I plan on finding a suitable home for this one and then get another.

Anybody have a fish trap they can lend me?

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Six I have a Lawnmower Blenny and he's pretty big. I remember reading somewhere that they sometimes develop a taste for Corals and Clams buy this is because of the photosynthetic organism's living within their tissues. This may help you decide about getting another one.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: